Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to take off the shifter and rails off a SM465?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by imiceman44, Jan 17, 2004.

1. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I had a couple of links to SM465 rebuilding articles but I lost them.
    Now I can't remember what I need to get that top cover with the shifter and the rails off the tranny.
    I took the bolts off and the cover will lift about an inch, and it will move sideways about an inch too.
    I know the shift fork is probably hanging and I am guessing the reverse fork since I saw the forward gear fork from the PTO covers and it should slide up no problem.
    I have both PTO covers off and I see no other trick except the 3 covers that hide the shift rails.
    Am I supposed to take these out and remove the rails or what?
    Help please I need to get this done this week end.
    Thanks in Advance.
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Push the cover back down, put the tranny halfway into reverse and it'll come apart.

Just a warning to ya, if you don't know what you're doing, don't take the top cover off. The first time I did it, I got very frustrated, and in the process, learned to put it back on. In the end I wish I never took the damn thing off, even though I can get them back on pretty easy now.

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well if iceman can take it apart he is Veru smart enough to be able to put it back together...lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Well if iceman can take it apart he is Veru smart enough to be able to put it back together...lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They can be a bitch sometimes. That reverse gear down at the bottom is especially difficult to get in the right place.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Push the cover back down, put the tranny halfway into reverse and it'll come apart.

Just a warning to ya, if you don't know what you're doing, don't take the top cover off. The first time I did it, I got very frustrated, and in the process, learned to put it back on. In the end I wish I never took the damn thing off, even though I can get them back on pretty easy now.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I kinda was on the right track /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Thanks dude, and don't worry about me not being able to put it back together, once I see what it's like inside, I can take care of it.
    I am really patient and I believe that is what is needed to align it when putting it back together.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

been here done this, its tricky getting the cover off, patience will help tons, yep, i dont have alot of that patience these days like i used to, older i get the less patient i am, ive been changing, i wont put up with much anymore without saying screw it and either scrapping it,, or beating the [darn] out of it,,, or both!

good luck

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    been here done this, its tricky getting the cover off, patience will help tons, yep, i dont have alot of that patience these days like i used to, older i get the less patient i am, ive been changing, i wont put up with much anymore without saying screw it and either scrapping it,, or beating the [darn] out of it,,, or both!

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's off, it took a second once I knew how :0)
    Tomorrow I should be putting it back together.
    Thanks guys for the help.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No problem.

Glad to help a guy out finally. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Sometimes I think that my delivery is so bad that nobody can appreciate the small amount of knowledge I do posess. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif