Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to take out gas tank??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jul 5, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I am wanting to do a shackle flip so I want to take out the gas tunk but I dont want to screw anything up so can someone tell me step by step how to?
    Thanks
    -Chris

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have never done it before, but from what I can see, you need to disconnect the sending unit cable, and the gas hose. Unbolt skidplate if there is one. Unbolt straps holding tank up. Then make sure there is nothing holding it up, look inside the gas door and make sure nothing is connected to it, then wiggle it out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

It is a bit easier to drop the take when the rear bumper is off.

So I say, take off rear bumper, remove the gas tank skid plate, the two strap that hold up the tank are attached on the tail pan. Lossen the nuts ALMOST all of the way to drop the tank a bit. Then get betweent he tank and floor and remove the filler neck hose and fuel lines. Then support the tank and take the staps all the way off and the tank will drop straight down. If you have a frame-mounted hitch, the skid-plate can be a bear to wrestle around...

and get as much fuel as you can out of the tank before you drop it...Not only does it ad weight, but when you still have like 10 gallons sloshing around, it can make things interesting when you are doing it by yourself...

Chris

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

so what do I do with the filler neck? do I disconnect it from the tank or just take the whole thing out?

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Take the whole thing out