Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to take out window motor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by balzer, Feb 1, 2001.

1. balzer

balzer Registered Member

i need to know what i have to do to replace the window motor in my passenger side door of my 83 jimmy. any experiences and info would be greatly appreciated

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Your going to have to take everything outta there. First loosen up the guides so you can move the glass from side to side, then wrestle the vent window assembly out(I think its possible to remove the glass with it in but it's much easier with it out). This is a tricky part slide the window out of the track of the regulator so you can get it out without the risk of breaking it. then you can unbolt the regulator and motor and pull them out.

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Never step in anything soft."

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I assume you are talking about power windows, though I'm guessing the hand crank would be the same. I just got done doing this last month after I got in water deep enough to ruin the window motor.

First, you do not have to remove the actual window, or the vent window to do this.
    Take the interior door panel off. In the upper rear area there is an access hole (you will also need to take loose the door handle as the rod from the handle to the latch runs across this and will get in the way). Reach down to the bottom of the door and find the wiring to the motor and unhook it.
    Now you will see 4 bolts in the lower front corner. These hold the motor/regulator to the door. Take these loose, but remember that there is pressure on these from the weight of the window. It helps to have somebody else to hold the window up, or secure it with take.
    After getting the motor loose from the door, you need to get the arms (with the rollers on the end) out of the tracks (one on the bottom edge of the window, and one on the door). There are slots cut in these tracks where the rollers can come out. Take your time and be patience, sometimes it takes a while to get the right position to get it out. After wiggling the cumbersome motor and regulator assembly out through the access hole, you can either keep the window secured up or let it slide down into the door. It will be somewhat loose, but in mine it would not just go crashing down since it was still in the window tracts (these run up and down on each side of the window down inside the door).
    Next you have to unbolt the motor from the regulator. BE CAREFUL!!! This is spring loaded, if you simply unbolt the motor the arm will go flying up and could cause an injury. I had to drill a hole through the one part (technical term!!...this is rounded piece that has the gear teeth on it which meshes with the motor) and bolt it to another part to hold it. You might want to stop by a body or glass shop so they can show you what I'm talking about.
    To install the new motor, simply bolt it on and put the assembly back into the door. Again, be patient as it takes a little wiggling to get everything lined up. Put the rollers back in the tracks before bolting the motor in. You might have trouble getting the bolt holes lined up in the door, I found that hooking the motor up and working it up or down some allowed the holes to be lined.
    Presto, your done!!!!

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Ok, I'm just a moron [​IMG] cause for some reason I thought you were asking how to remove regulator & motor [​IMG]

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Never step in anything soft."