Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to take the door apart

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Apr 1, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

long story short...co worker double parks, me and my temper, and now my drivers side window is broken INside the door from slamming it.

fortunately weather will be on my side but i need to get it fixed quick as i work at night and am prone to ear infections around alot of cold air this time of year

i got all the screws out of the panel but i cant get the little clip off the window roller knob to get it off...any tips or hints?

also...anyone know if i should try to junk yard a new window or go to a glass place (mine are tinted)...perhaps junk the window then take it to an auto glass place?

any help would be appreciated

2. Panther212

Panther212 Registered Member

Auto glass place prolly the best, most junk yard's glass is scratched, etc. Who knows how much you'll pay, though. I'm lookin for new glass for both doors as well.

LMAO... I know about tempers... should have took out his window instead of yours! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

no we've had our disputes before....once he parked inches from my rear bumper, so when i took off...i revved the engine a few times and left his front bumper black from my pipes /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

there is a special tool you can buy just for window crank handles. most parts stores have them. or you might be able to use a small thin flathead screwdriver or a putty knife. i've used both of those in the past.

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

keeping in mind we tried to do this at night with just car lights....i tried it with a flathead but it wont budge...like i need to hit both ends at the same time to get it off...ill just let the glass place do it

6. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't know if a Blazer is different, but with my 240Z I took the edge of a small dishtowel and ran it from the open end of the clip and then pulled it towards the closed end. Popped right off. Geez, did that make sense? I can try to explain better if need be.

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

yeah it made sense

someone else told me to use a rope to snag the ends and do it that way

8. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I just take a coat hanger and cut the long piece in the bottom and bend about a 1/4 inch hook on one end and a handle on the other and walla you just made a window handle clip remover.

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I second the dishtowel or rag thing just pull it back and forth on the bottom of the clip and it will pop right out as for glass I would go to a junkyard get the glass then take it to a tint shop still out of the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK. Not trying to hijack this post, just trying to supply more possibly needed info. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now that we have the techniques for getting the clip out, what is everyone's technique for putting it back in?

11. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

I get the clip on halfway, slide the arm on, the use a thin screwdriver to give it a little tap and click it slides into place. My fiance puts the clip all the way on and then whacks it with her hand and yells "f*** f*** f***" and that seems to work too /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but now my window handle point strange directions when all the way closed /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Get the glass at a junkyard, much cheaper that way. Try installing the glass yourself, it ain't that hard, it only takes a little persuasion....although I did manage to knock myself out the last time I wrestled with the vent window...ahhh...that takes me back... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

window crank removal tool

very cheap at parts stores, and handy to have around /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

also door panel removal tool makes it very easy to pop panels off of the clips without damaging them

14. JSH

JSH Registered Member

I second the coat hanger trick, use a putty knife to push in on the trim panel so you can see what you are doing, then use the coat hanger hook to pull the u-shaped clip off. Putting it on is easy, put the clip on the handle first, then just push the handle over the splined shaft on the window regulator. Don't forget to take out the two screws on the arm rest if you have one.