Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to take tint of windows? help quick please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Apr 7, 2004.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

What is the easiest way to take the tinted film of the windows /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Razor blade and soapy water??

Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I would like to no this too, as of now I have the sides stock, and the back REALLY DARK tint. It's impossible to see out of at night /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

stock tint is usually inside the glass so you cant remove it, but aftermarket, just a razor and the right chemicals... soap or windex or something

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wont the razor stratch the glass itself though? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

A buddy of mine tints windows, it's a business of his, yes you use a razor blade and dish soap and water, yets the razor will scratch if your not careful, keep the blade at a decent angle and don't dig in, usually you can get the tin started and just peal it off in large pieces, then use more soapy water to remove the glue until it's all removed.

DO NOT do this routine on a vehicle with a window defogger.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A buddy of mine tints windows, it's a business of his, yes you use a razor blade and dish soap and water, yets the razor will scratch if your not careful, keep the blade at a decent angle and don't dig in, usually you can get the tin started and just peal it off in large pieces, then use more soapy water to remove the glue until it's all removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a neat job, I've always wondered how the tint is made

[ QUOTE ]
    DO NOT do this routine on a vehicle with a window defogger.

[/ QUOTE ]

OUCH that would suck /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

He actually buys the tint in bulk rolls of like 250ft from a supplier, then just cuts to fit winders and make some serious profit on the deal. I was actually thinkin about doin it as i have been with him several times and only have him tint my windows, it's not that hard of as deal to do, just paying close attention to detail and keeping the window areas very clean during application.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    winders

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Methyl Ethyl Ketone (known as MEK) is a great tint remover. Soak a sponge (use gloves) and wipe it on the tinting, then use a razor blade. Just be sure to keep it off ya and use it in a well ventilated area. Also make sure you don't let it get all over the carpet.

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A buddy of mine tints windows, it's a business of his.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey T.J. is he here in the valley? I just need to find some good quality tint. I don't want to buy a full roll of tint. But I want to redo mine since I move back to AZ from CA... The guy I use to get my tint from is still not around. So need a new supplier... Thanks

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why don't you just tint the front winders to match the back instead of removing it and having all clear windows? I could tell a HUGe difference when I tinted all my windows, stays cooler inside, not near as much glare from the sun, and looks way better. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Oh and if the tint is factory it should be lamenated then...which means the film is in the middle sandwiched between 2 pieces of glass. You will need different glass if you really want to remove it.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I could tell a HUGe difference when I tinted all my windows, stays cooler inside, not near as much glare from the sun, and looks way better. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's really hard to see out of in the dark since theres no sun, at least with my back window /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I could tell a HUGe difference when I tinted all my windows, stays cooler inside, not near as much glare from the sun, and looks way better. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's really hard to see out of in the dark since theres no sun, at least with my back window /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]What about during the day?

15. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

HOT SOAPY WATER

ARQ.

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You get used to it, i had my factory side tinted windows tinted over again with a lighter tint, to make them just a bit more dark, (for those special moments /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) Also going to the auto parts store and buying those 50 watt back up lights that are the replacements for the bulbs currently on the stock location is also a nice little upgrade.

As far as my buddy selling material, he doesn't really do that, he buys his in bulk and uses it on a per vehicle basis, he can usually get you a pretty good deal on having him tint the windows if you wanted to go that route. He warranties all his work and will basically put whatever you want on it.

If ya want his info, PM me and i'll get you his number. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. rjfguitar

I have double 5% all the way around with custom graphics and have to back out my narrow driveway every night. I've never hit anything because I watch WTF I'm going. If a guy can't manage to back up without hitting anything and then blames it on the windows when he does is a sad excuse...I wouldn't even let my GF get by with that one! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    winders

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifCome on Tim, haven't you ever been down south? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have double 5% all the way around with custom graphics and have to back out my narrow driveway every night. I've never hit anything because I watch WTF I'm going. If a guy can't manage to back up without hitting anything and then blames it on the windows when he does is a sad excuse...I wouldn't even let my GF get by with that one! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you get away with double limo?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Is the fuzz not as strick there as in the bayarea?

20. rjfguitar

I should specify...my top and tailgate is double 5%. My roll ups and wings are 35%. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I already have enough illegal stuff on it to worry about like no cats and no mud flaps. Speaking of that got a mudflap ticket the other day. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif