Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to talk on the CB

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by weisel, Oct 1, 2003.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

How should one talk on the CB? I want to try to talk to truckers and stuff, but they don't answer me.

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, I was wondering if you used it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

generally, truckers talk to truckers and four wheelers talk to four wheelers. most big truck drivers find it annoying for the inexperienced to get on the radio and try to start up a chit chat. next time a rig passes you, just pick up the mic and let em know when they have room to get over. be sure to call them by name and not just "big truck", that can get ugly real fast. other than that, sit back and listen. you will pick up the flow of conversation fairly easy. watch out for radio rambo's. those losers are just a fight waiting to happen. also, if no one is answering you, are you sure they are hearing you? a cheapo walmart setup is less than background noise on most high end cb's.

4. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I got a guy to reply to me today, I just asked "Radio check, is this thing getting out to anybody?", and He said that I am getting out fine. The others must just not want to talk to me, oh well. Good idea on letting them know when they can get over and all, but what name do I call them? Should I say whats on the side of the truck?

5. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good idea on letting them know when they can get over and all, but what name do I call them? Should I say whats on the side of the truck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Company name on the truck will normally do the trick.

6. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

cool, thanks.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Watch "Smokey and the Bandit" several times in a row.......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Jeez <font color="orange">gotmud</font>, what's up your a**? Never had a problem talking to a trucker or calling one "big truck" when I can't see a company name.

The "Radio Rambo" in today's society is the "Keyboard Cowboy." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Roger that good buddy. Catch you on the flip-flop. Watch for those road alligators. All mouth and no ears cause big problems. Time to pull the big switch for some black water. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

What does "Breaker, breaker, 19" mean? Does it reffer to the channel 19 or a code?

10. 88Silverado

"Break" means someone wants to break into a conversation.
    "19" or number is the channel they're on.
    Kinda redundant since anyone on the frequency knows what channel they're on /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Thanks. How do you get someone to talk to you if there is no conversation?

12. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

just speak up in a lady like tone....

"hey this is hot mama, cruzin down the I 5 lookin for the big one, need to relaease some pressure, can any one help" /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

13. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Wasn't that on a movie? Then the two guys have a mad man trucker trying to kill them. Candy cane was their call name I think.

14. got_mud

got_mud 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Watch "Smokey and the Bandit" several times in a row.......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Jeez <font color="orange">gotmud</font>, what's up your a**? Never had a problem talking to a trucker or calling one "big truck" when I can't see a company name.

The "Radio Rambo" in today's society is the "Keyboard Cowboy." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

"Keyboard Cowboy." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

as for calling a rig 'big truck' i have seen close calls and paint swaps due to nobody knowing who 'big truck' really is. try dfw, LA or chicago during rush hour and see how effective 'big truck' is. for the record, my a** is not a storage container of any sort, thus nothing is there that shouldn't be. out on the lonely stretches i, like most civilized drivers, will talk to anyone. however, there is a time and place for everything. i grow weary of kids wanting to strike up conversations while other drivers are trying to discuss routes, fuel costs, parking options and the like. maybe its just oklahoma...

anybody remember who sings "Phantom 309"?

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Keyboard Cowboy." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

as for calling a rig 'big truck' i have seen close calls and paint swaps due to nobody knowing who 'big truck' really is. try dfw, LA or chicago during rush hour and see how effective 'big truck' is. for the record, my a** is not a storage container of any sort, thus nothing is there that shouldn't be. out on the lonely stretches i, like most civilized drivers, will talk to anyone. however, there is a time and place for everything. i grow weary of kids wanting to strike up conversations while other drivers are trying to discuss routes, fuel costs, parking options and the like. maybe its just oklahoma...

anybody remember who sings "Phantom 309"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Red Sovine........

My CB for me is 1. radar detector 2. highway conditions and 3. when traffic is stopped, ENTERTAINMENT /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good idea on letting them know when they can get over and all, but what name do I call them? Should I say whats on the side of the truck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Around here, they mostly call themselves "driver"...as in "You can get on over there, driver." "Where ya headed, driver?"

When I had mine hooked up last year, I was riding through town and heard this woman get on the CB at the top of her voice "MY HUSBAND IS A SONUVABITCH!!! HE'S A F***ING A##HOLE!! AARRGGGHHHH!!!!!" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Can't tell you how many times I've heard truckers threaten to whup each other either, LOL

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Watch "Smokey and the Bandit" several times in a row..........

[/ QUOTE ] Nobody uses that old "CB" lingo anymore. Infact, if you call someone a (Good buddy), you're calling them a fag. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Most everyone uses everyday talk.

18. 88Silverado

Roger that Good Buddy... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Roger that Good Buddy... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

is it bad if your mom talks like that on nextel?