Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to tell a CST from others

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bp71k5, Jan 17, 2007.

1. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

How do you tell if a truck is a CST model or not?

My 71 has a "CST" emblem on the glove box door. It looks original (very old)The VIN listed on the option sticker on the door matches the VIN on the drivers door sill so I assume the glove box door is original to the truck. The option sticker does not list anything related to "CST" or cheyanne trim.

The doors do not have the little "CST" emblems on them (or any other trim on the outside). It looks like the PO shaved all that stuff off and patched any holes in the body, but I can't find any patched holes in the door when I look at the inside of the door to confirm. (Doors look original too)

Anything else to look for to tell? I heard the bed on the CST had some clips or holes for some side panels that went over the wheel wells? I don't have AC which I thought all CST's had? Maybe the PO added the emblem on the glove box?

2. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Does yours have a chrome 4x4 shifter?
    That's one way to tell.

CST stands for 'custom sport truck' maybe that's on the glove box sheet?

3. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

For me the easiest to tell is the rear side panels in the bed area. CST models had braces welded to the sides, floor and bedrails to secure the CST panels. When you look at catalogs for carpet or floor mats, they ask if its CST or not because those panels are mounted approx. 6-8in from the inside steel wall of the truckbed.
    Hope that helps :D !

4. bp71k5

Actually, that does help. Mine doesn't seem to have anything like that welded on. Anyone have pics of what they look like?

5. vtblazer

To the best of what I've seen, they were never welded, they were screwed on.

6. bp71k5

Hmm, then it's not so easy. I got lots of places where it looks like stuff might have been bolted on. Thanks for all the help on this.

7. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

No, I don't have pics.
    Hell, I'm still trying to figure out how to post them:haha: !

The braces are L-braces approx. 1"X1"X 12-14" in front of the wheel wells on bed and bedrails.
    And on top of the wheel well a brace approx. 2-3" wide comes down from bedrail to rear-part on top of wheel well.
    Then behind wheel well more L-braces.

Unless someone did an excellent job removing the spot-welds/screw holes; there should be tell-tale signs of them there.

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Hmmm...:thinking: .

Now you got me wondering too!

9. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the proper braces and will take pics tomarrow and post for you to see.

10. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

CST ID'ers

Other ways to tell the CST is that the upholstery would have scroll work embossed in it. You'd see this in the seats as well as the side panels. Also, chrome bumpers, wood grain panel on tailgate, woodgrain trim along lower beltline. A/C was not standard on CST's, but was an option.

11. bp71k5

Yea, this just makes it more difficult. The old rear seat did have the scroll work on the upholstery before I recovered it. It was light brown though, which doesn't match the glove box door sticker which says "black vinyl trim".

In any case, even if it isn't a CST, I've collected almost all the parts to add factory style AC to it. I didn't want to use the vintage air. I still need the compressor and condensor. Bob Knights AC photo gallery is a great resource since I don't have a AC system to reference. I'll post up a article on how the conversion goes.

12. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

My 71 Has the rear side panels in the back. I dont know if someone added them or if the truck is cst either. I do know someone put 72 doors on later. It also was painted once. I don't have a cst emblem on the glove box either. I bought everything to make it a CST. I even managed to get my hands on a new set of rear side panels in Black.

13. bp71k5

Yea, I was considering the side panels in the bed, but they were mucho $$$$. and I'm not sure I want to be THAT authentic in restoring it. The lift and other mods were too fun to pass up. I don't have any visible way to mount those panels either.

14. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

Well mine had some original metal pieces they were held in with. I think you could even make them. They arent all that complicated. Just V shaped and they screw into the sides of the bed. Some self tapping screws should work fine. Yeah thos panels werent cheap but they look killer.

15. vtblazer

More like this > _/-\_ < kinda shape.

Not all that hard to find on the blazer boards.

16. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

il try and get pics of mine i have a 72 cst mine if i remember right has chrome vents the seats have crhome buckles its been a while since ive looked hmm yeah il try and get pics mine a ac also