Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to tell between deuce and a half and 5 ton?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Jan 17, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Also what would you do with it if you had one?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The size of the vehicle is pretty obvious. Depending on the variants, the size of tires can indicate it too. Sometimes I still get them confused, maybe someone that spends more time around them than I do can help you more.

2. If I had one, I would sell it, as I see no point in owning one.

3. cybrfire

problem is there isn't another vehicle to compare to.

I've got lots of ideas for it. Just don't know which I like better.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A picture would help.

5. cybrfire

don't have one yet. Don't even have the truck yet. Just contemplating the weight for trailering it home. 2.5 ton is between 12 and 14 thousand pounds. 5 ton is much heavier than the trailer can withstand.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What WOULDN'T you do with one?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    don't have one yet. Don't even have the truck yet. Just contemplating the weight for trailering it home. 2.5 ton is between 12 and 14 thousand pounds. 5 ton is much heavier than the trailer can withstand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the trucks are too tall to have on any trailer and legally pull down the road...unless you like taking out overpasses. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Even if they're not, no matter how big the pickup, I wouldn't have one of those things behind me on ANY trailer, SCREW THAT!

Semi truck lowboy ONLY!

8. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

1. They look slightly different. I have trouble telling the difference a lot of the time.

2. I've been thinking of buying one recently. Possibly I'll own one in the next couple years.
    First thing I'll do: Restore it mechanially.
    Second thing: Cosmetics. I'll be painting it a dark urban camo. Figure it should look pretty awesome and intimidating then. Not to mention fun as hell. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. big k5

big k5 Registered Member

I think they are cool.I have also driven both when i was in the military.I prefer the 2.5 ton over the 5 ton.5 tons are alot bigger body wise & normally run alot bigger tire (but not always)The 5 ton is also an automatic.I never saw a straight shift in a 5 ton,but all the 2.5 tons were straight shifts.The 2.5 ton is a pretty quick truck for its size. If I had one I'd like to squeeze the biggest,meanest tire i could on it,redo the paint,and just have fun with it.maybe load it upfull of people & cruise 4x4 event shows?

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

11. cybrfire

OK, thanks for the link. I think this must be a 2.5 ton I'm looking at. Does anybody know the wheel base measurements from front wheel to second wheel to third wheel and Bed size. Oh, also tire diameter? Is there a place on line that has the specs?

12. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

most of them deuces ive seen were 9.00-20s or 10.00-20 tires , at 38 and 40 inches respectively. Yo can put 14.00-20s(48s) without much difficulty. With the 12 foor bed i would guess that the wheelbase is 175 inches to the centre of the tandems.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These axles were narrowed and you can see the center section is smaller than the 5 ton.

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

There actually was a 2 1/2 for sale out here. Was in good condition and ran well. Guy wanted $1,200 for it. It's gone now. I had visions of making it a flatbed monument truck with a liftgate and crane to replace the aging F350 we have now.

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The easiest way to tell the other apart, especially if you don't have a set to compare side by side, is to count the lug studs.

6 lugs is a 2.5 ton.
    10 lugs is the 5 ton.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I got the chance to drive a Duece on a previous deployment almost every day for about 3 months. The one I drove had a turbo on. What a sweet sound! That thing would really move for its size and weight. We used it pull out a stuck fuel truck that was full and it didn't strain at all. The only bad thing about those trucks, would be worse for every day driving, is the manual steering. It'll really give you a workout. I remember seeing a hydro kit somewhere. It seemed expensive though.
    What would I do with it if I got one? Drive it to work everyday! That would be a blast! Take the top of in the summer too!

Kris

17. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

As long as we are comparing stock rockwells in 2.5 ton and 5 ton variety. The 2.5 ton is easily identified with the square yoke on the pinion where the 5 ton has the round. 2.5 ton is also 6 lug where the 5 ton is... um Im not sure.

18. cybrfire

I'm pretty sure its a 2.5 ton. I'll look at the lug nuts to make sure thanks. I'm thinking about setting some type of compartment on the back by the cab for storing things such as a torch and other tools. Probably will also put a Boom hoist on there somewhere and use it for scrapping trucks. Maybe also use it for a tow vehicle. wonder how an overdrive unit would work out? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok then what about the C60 trucks with the huge 5 lug clamp and bolt style wheel pattern and the 47-72 years 11,000lb eaton axles with the ten studs pattern ?

i dont think the 6 lug vs 10 lug pattern identification is very accurate

or something is wrong here

looks liek 5 ton axles has backside of diff laying down and evertything else has the backside of the diff vertical like normally seen under all light duty trucks cars

on side note we have scrapped alot of huge big trucks and axles and leaf setups and recently even, we just cut the axles up and load the pieces into truck cuz freaking heavy as hell, i dont know how anyone could use such a gigantic rear under a light duty chassis, how is such possible ? and should i have been saving some of these huge axles ? most of them been two speed rears. pretty commonly seen and scrapped /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2.5 ton turcks range in GVW rating from about 13k to 16k, the 1 tons are base GVW rating of 10k, for comparison purposes, but there was a larger axle you could get for 1 tons and that increased the GVW rating above the std equip 10k

20. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont think the 6 lug vs 10 lug pattern identification is very accurate

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanna do a friendly wager? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif