Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to tell different year 350's apart

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

how to tell different year 350\'s apart

whats the difference between these motors. i have a swapped in 350 in my pickup and i dont know the vintage. i need to get a rebuild kit but i dont know if its a 70's version or the 80-85 one. how can i tell? the motor is out of the truck so i can see all sides of it.

2. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Re: how to tell different year 350\'s apart

You can post the casting number and we can narrow down what years it was used. But some blocks where used for up to 11 years the same casting. Can narrow down more what year with suffix code if the deck hasn't been milled and it's gone. The casting code will be on the bellhousing flange on the driver side. The suffix code will be stamped on the flange in front of block on passenger side. Really if it's a 350 there are really the same, block wise, pre- 86 had two piece rear main seal and 86-later had a one piece. 87 and later had taller lifter bores for roller lifters, Gen. I blocks are till '91, Gen. II from 92-96 , Gen. III 97+. See I read way to much. If you want some specific information send me a PM.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

68-81 had a driver side dip stick
    80-on had pass side dip stick.
    69-75 or 76 had blind holes for the bellhousing
    76 on had holes the went all the way though (you could see the bolt holes on the back side)
    86 up had 1 piece rear main seal
    87 up had centerbolt valve covers
    casting numbers will tell you what year range
    suffix code will tell you what the motor came out of, year, hp, torque.
    i can get more detailed that that /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

79 and older are driver side stick

80 is pass side, mortec and such are wrong on that

alot of 350 are a common casting that were usd several years such as 3970010 in which was used 69-79 and could be a 302, 327 or 350 and either two or four bolt

to find out year make and hp and such get the stamping code off front of engine on flat horizontal machined pad just above timign cover and post the last letters here

but the quickest way would be to see where oil stick is and that will tell you if its 69-79 or 80-up, also was a 350 in 68 for the camaros too and probably 67 also, th350 also came out in 68 just for camaro otherwise no th350 until 69 everything auto back then was th400 or PG

5. big83chevy4x4

i knew that /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, just cant think why i would say it wrong /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i knew that /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, just cant think why i would say it wrong /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

cuz the person who typed it wasnt paying attention or doesnt really know much about gm castings

7. big83chevy4x4

my mind goes faster than i can type /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif