Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to tell gear ratio's? PLZ help quick

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NITRO, Jun 25, 2002.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

how to tell gear ratio\'s? PLZ help quick

how can i tell if my 12 bolt rear is 3.73? what should the #'s b on the ring gear? thanx

NITRO

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: how to tell gear ratio\'s? PLZ help quick

<font color="green"> Gears generally have the tooth counts for the ring and pinion stamped on the edge of the ring gear. If when you divide the larger number into the smaller one, you get 3.73, then it's 3.73. </font color>

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Should be 41 &amp; 11. Atleast thats what's stamped into my 14b with 3.73's. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The best way is to pop the cover and count the teeth or look for the stamping on the ring gear. The other way is to jack up the back of the truck and put some marks on your tires and driveshaft and spin them several revolutions, counting driveshaft and wheel turns. Then divide driveshaft revs/wheel revs and look for the closest standard ratio (because your counting process wasn't perfect).