Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to tell if its a Gov-Lock??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Masher, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

I'm going to a boneyard today to find a 14FF. The guy told me I could pick from any of about 6 he had. Is there a way to tell if it has a Gov-Lock without pulling the cover?? Any numbers on the housing?? Can I tell by spinning the axle?? Wanna make sure I don't get one.

Thanks

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Look up at the top of the screen..."Main Index...Search...." Try the search. I can't seem to find the link to post the search, but just search on gov lock, make the search for more than just today, and I think you will find all yer heart desires!!!

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Just in case you can't find it, You HAVE to pull the cover. If you can see spider gears, it's open. If you see some funny looking spring-like pieces of metal, it's gov-loced.

4. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Yea, unfortunately, you can't even tell my turning a hub or anything since the gov-loc works like an open diff until the difference in wheel spin reaches a certain speed. I don't think there's any way to do this by hand.

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

take the cover off, jack up 1 wheel, turn the wheel and count the big round "holes" in the carrier... if there is 3 it is a gov loc...if it has 4 it is open...