Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How To Tell If It's A Posi? Ratchet Locker????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by uglytruk, May 14, 2005.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    I'VE RECENTLY COME ACCROSS several 3/4 and 1 ton axles. Some 2wd, some 4x4. Sometimes one can tell if it's a posi by checking the glove box sticker for G80. Or spin one wheel, if it's got a clutch type unit. But what about the centrifugal style. How do I tell w/o opening 'er up? :confused: :confused:

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

opening them up is the easyest but im sure there is a way to test it by rolling it.

i dunno

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you mean the gov-lock, which is pretty much universal for a G80 truck app, if both wheels will turn freely, both off the ground, spinning one tire as fast as possible by hand, will USUALLY get a gov-lock unit to lock up.

I don't mean get it moving slowly and speed up, I mean from no rotation to fast rotation as fast as you can jerk the wheel into motion. It should "bang" into lock and rotate both wheels the same direction.

4. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    Pretty much what I thought. These are usually sitting in a local junkyard. Sometimes dropped in the mud, and wheels jammed, so spinning them is only a dream.
    Just made an offer on another K20. Glove box sticker indicates "standard differential" or something like that. No gear ratio indicated. My '86 'Burb says "G80 3.73 ". Very informative. 3/4's are usually 4.10-4.56. And some kid just offered to trade me 3/4's for my still on vehicle 1/2 ton axles from his '87 'Burb. Interesting. Andrew :laugh: