Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to tell if M.C is going out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dleroy43, Jun 19, 2004.

1. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have bleed them and recently replaced the rear shoes. the fronts are still good but it doesent stop as good as the first couple days. the rears will lockup it stomped on but normally it stops like a boat. Theses brakes are 2x the size of the old and take 2x as long to stop. Anyone have some suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

whats the pedal feel like, hard or soft. May just need to bleed them again, and again.

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Try and bleed them again. If everything wasnt new or cleaned surfaces when reinstalled, it may take a few miles for them to seat in. I run carbon metallic pads and metallic shoes on my vehicles and sometimes it will many hard stops to get them to break in.

A typical symptom of a failing MC is the peddle will slowly start going to the floor on its own.

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you don't have the shoes adjusted correctly you won't have any pedel. You need to make sure the shoes are fairly close to the drums, then apply the brakes hard while going in reverse a few times to let them self adjust.

5. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the pedle is softer than before. when I push hard it feels like somthing solid stoping the pedle but the truck still rolls without the braking I would expect. I tried adjusting the rears by going backwards but Ill do it agein and bleed them some more to see if that helps

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sign that a m/c is going bad is pedal sinking when holding truck stopped, and also if is leaking out the back of the m/c and down the front of the booster

sounds like you may have alot more bleeding to d, it might be that you need ot bench bleeed the m/c more, i hope you have bench bled it before installing it,