Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HOW TO TELL IF SPIDER GEARS ARE SHOT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Feb 5, 2002.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

am getting alot of vibration at speed and clunking when putting in gear and shifting, and groaning when slowing into a curve
    new tranny
    new xfer case
    new ujoints and drive shaft balanced
    regeared 6-8 months ago, and guy said spiders looked pretty bad
    thanks
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pull the cover off...

I got a question though. If the guy did a gear swap for you and noticed the spiders looked bad why didn't he replace them?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Thats $$, same thing happened to me, the guy who did my gears said spider gears had some damage, and said it was some $$ to replace. He recomended getting an entirely new carrier such as with locker or posi.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.
    6"Springs, Tranny, & Engine coming soon.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Tearing down the diff twice is more $$$...even if the new gearset survives when the spiders grenade. Not replacing them is just a false economy.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You don't have to buy new ones. Mine were $12 including a new diff cover

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The problem is that when spider gears go bad, they start shedding metal particles. Once those start circulating in the oil, then the bearings start to grind themselves up. [​IMG] I had some spider gears in a 10-bolt that were so hammered that the hard facing material started crumbling off the teeth. That in turn wasted the bearings. I got a replacement rearend from the junkyard, for less than the cost of parts to fix the old one.

You need to open the diff and have a peek inside, to see what's going on in there.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

he did not tell me until after i came to pick up the truck, or i would have had him install a lockrite
    like he put in the front.
    i considered just getting a junkyard rear end, but then you do not know the cond of what you get, plus it
    how hard would it be to find 4.10 gears, or regear
    i checked out Boyce for a dana 60, but then i have to get new wheels and tires, and i just bought new less than a year ago
    but i do want to go wider
    SO WHAT TO DO?
    buy spacers and a new diff or locker about 600.00
    or get the Dana 60 1200 plus gears and locker 700 and new wheels 400
    by the time im done i spend 2500 or spend 600 and keep what i have
    95 percent highway, so the chances of thrashing a 10 bolt are slim
    starting to think about that GEO again [just kidding]
    once i get the cover off how do i tell what is bad?
    i finally got my shop manual in the mail and i think i can handle the rebuild, but just not sure what all to replace
    SUGESTIONS?
    thanks
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

8. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Most places,Randy's Ring&amp;Pinion, have lock right for cheaper than spiders, I blew my spiders up about a year ago and decided to go with a lock right cause (a) it was about $15 cheaper and (b) I wanted a locker anyway. I love it. I put it in myself. I had more trouble putting in new bearings and ring/pinion which you wont have to do unless you wait to long and the spidersbloow on you. It really sucks, I have a 10 bolt worth now 843 bucks because of what i had to replace,but the cost of a new 14 bolt was way more and I didn't want someone else's juck that I didn't know what it had been through. I would suggest give Randy's ring/pinion a call and seeing what a lock right will cost you. They are going to ask you if it's an 8 inch or 8 1/2 inch, its an 81/2 inch and they will want to know if it has 28 spline or 30 spline axles, the only way to know this is take the spiders out and either pull an axle and count the splines or count the splines on the inside of the side gears(spiders).The Lock right is really easy to install just remember to have a friend standing around for an ocassion extra hand to hold parts in and a pencil magnet is really helpful. Looking at the directions may look confusing at first but it really isn't. Good luck if you need any help pm me.

Thanks, (in advance)
    Hawglet
    hawglet@excite.com

9. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i bought a locker for teh front and it was about 350, i just thought the spider geard would be way less, shows my knowledge. i think i might just see if i can get a set from the junk yard and try them for a while, cause i would like to step up to a dana 60
    thanks
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?