Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to tell ring size on a 10 bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by will89, Jan 15, 2003.

1. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

How can I tell which ring size I have on my 89 1/2 ton front axle without taking off the diff cover? Are there any numbers stamped on it that would indicate size?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

it's 8.5", all of them are. (10 bolt truck axles that is)

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

He meant ratio I think. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    If so. The only way without taking off the cover if you don't have a tag on the cover, is to mark the driveshaft with a chalk and the same on the tire, then rotate the tire and count driveshaft revolutions and multiply by 2. Unless you have a spool or a locker that is engaged then you don't multiply by 2. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

thats it! thanks

5. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

Do you know if these axles have inner seals at the diff? I was just told by a gear shop that the only seals they have are at the wheel side of the axle????? Anybody know??

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

There shouldn't be any seals on the inside since the bearings at the end are lubed by the gear oil which should fill the tubes.
    On the full floating fronts you have a seal on the inside. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

Good.. so thats one less thing do. Now its just ball joints, u-joints, brakes, bearings, and the outer seals. Should be about a 15 to 20 Pabst job.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    it's 8.5", all of them are. (10 bolt truck axles that is)

[/ QUOTE ]
    add FULLSIZE to that. S trucks and cars run a 10 also with a smaller ring.

9. dyeager535

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    add FULLSIZE to that. S trucks and cars run a 10 also with a smaller ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, add SOME to that, and you'd be correct lol.

Just thinking about some of the newer S10's and big cars that got 8.5's as well. But yes, I should have said "1/2 ton" (unless S-10's are considered half??) to make that clear. There were 8.2" 10 bolts back in the day as well, but those don't count. Car diffs.

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

He said "front" and the S10s had 7.2" ring gears in their IFS "axle".

Many S10s are 1/4 tons. Quite a ew are 5/16 tons. 1/2 tons were available. I had an 89 Sonoma with the 2.5L and 1/2 ton springs. Power brakes but no power steering. Was kind of nice to have a lot of weight in the back end because it was easier to steer.

There are tons of 10 bolts. All the way from 7.5 to 8.6 now. The originals were 7.5, 7.625, 8.2, and 8.5. Now there's a rumored 8.6" floating around in fullsize trucks.

I have yet to finish it yet but here is one of the pictures I give people for axle identification. [​IMG]

11. dyeager535

Yes, and since its an '89, it could have been IFS, but isn't /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wonder if the 8.6" is the one that LOOKS like the 8.5" our trucks got, but I've noticed one easy to see difference on the newer housings, the "ears" on each lower corner of the center section are shaped quite a bit differently. Only on the new trucks, somewhere around 2000+ or so. Perhaps this is just a redesign of the 8.5", and the 8.6" is totally different.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

8.5" rears been around since muscle car era, cars been getting them ever since, novas, camaros, caprices, impalas, trucks, vans, so forth, soe were 4 3/4" pattern and some like under B body wagons and 9C1's were truck 5 on 5 pattern

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just FYI the 14SF gasket pic is turned 90 degrees wrong. It's oval the other way dude... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

14. dyeager535

The 8.5" "corporate" 10 bolt rear was first available in 1973, and from what I've found on the 8.2's, all *but* Olds had 8.2" ring gears before that(pre'73), Olds had 8.5's.

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know. I scanned them off something a long time ago and never finished it. GM axles are easy to spot, it's the Chrysler and Dana axles I'm more worried about. I threw it all together a while ago. The 8.2/8.5s need to be finished also. The truck one is the only one that had the big square ears and used the cover gasket on the LEFT.

Sometimes I wonder about myself. I think all this reading for my 4 EE courses I have this semester has my brain fried.

It'd be a mighty funny looking differential carrier if the 14SF was shaped like that... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I fixed the diagram... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG] </font color>

17. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

If we're talking a solid axle 10 bolt front rear it has seals in the axle tubes at the center section, not at the ends, the front wheel bearings aren't lubed by differential oil. To change the seals you have to disassemble the front diff and change them from inside the housing.

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

all 8.5" car and truck both, have square ears on 5 and 7 o clock positions, the 7.5" have lil fangs like the s-10s and light duty application cars

there are some 10 bolts that have what they call B&amp;O type axles- they have bearings pressed to shafts instead of located in the axle tube ends retained by the wheel seals

but yeah, we actually should be answering with front 10 bolts since this thread was aimed for them originally, all 8.5" have the square ears no matter if front or rear or car or truck, the 8.5" diff housings all look identical