Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to test for head gasket leak?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbinOR, Aug 9, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Buddy of mine has a 400 in his 2wd pickup...............loses coolant but can't find a leak. Any idea how to check exhaust or spark plugs for signs of a head gasket failure before it becomes a bigger problem? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Thanks............

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It will make the engine oil get foamy and look like chocolate milk if it's bad enough. I've also heard something about it making the exhaust smell sweet. A hesitation under load is also an indicator of a blown head gasket. </font color>

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

like shaggy said sweet exhaust( the smell of the burning coolant) and pull the plugs and crank it over, water should be coming out of the guilty cylinder, also pop the radiator cap, coolant will be foamy.

-Jeremy

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yeah a blown head gasket will turn the oil into chocolate puddding, and the antifreeze will do the same...
    i blew one on a car and white smoke came out and smelled like burning antifreeze...
    but if its losing a decent amount, you really should be able to smell it or see the change in the oil and antifreeze, i'd change the oil and check it out...
    might want to check the heater core too, i know when mine started leaking i saw that i was losing coolant but didnt see any marks in the engine bay, so i pulled up the carpet and found a nice wet spot under it...probably not the case but it only takes a second to check..

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I had a blown head gasket that was putting compression into the antifreeze. Antifreeze was leaking into the overflow bottle and then to the ground. Took forever to figure out what was causing it.