Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to test glowplugs?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by kennyw, Nov 21, 2004.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I set up my glow plugs as fully manual with my new 6.2 swap. The truck started great the first couple times now it seems I might have burned them out from holding the button too long /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Anyone know how to test them individually? If money wasn't an issue I'd just replace them all at once right now and be done with it, but we all know how that goes... Right now I want to replace any of them that test bad then replace the rest as soon as I can get the extra money.

2. kennyw

Nevermind, found it in another post /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Heat in the cylinders. This is aquired through the glow plug system. Testing this can be done by disconnecting one glow plug at a time and putting a cheapy test light between the wire and glow plug terminal. If it lights when the glow plugs cycle that plug is good. Check all 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hopefully none of the tips swelled on you...

Rene

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Actually, an easier, similar way to check the plugs is to clip the test light to the POSITIVE side of the battery, and then touch the light to each glow plug terminal, with the glow plug wires removed. Again, if it lights up, that glow plug is good.

This method is pretty much the same, but doesn't require cycling the glow system.

Casey

5. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually, an easier, similar way to check the plugs is to clip the test light to the POSITIVE side of the battery, and then touch the light to each glow plug terminal, with the glow plug wires removed. Again, if it lights up, that glow plug is good.

This method is pretty much the same, but doesn't require cycling the glow system.

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

And alot easier to test by myself when my glow plugs are fully manual anyway (switch in the cab), thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif