Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to test MAP, KNOCK & IGN. Module??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by my88texastruck, Dec 4, 2006.

1. my88texastruck

my88texastruck Registered Member

How would I go about testing these senders/modules? Is there any way to check/test them with basic tools or would I need to use WinALDL or similar program? I am chasing a gremlin and any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Thanks.

1988 Chevy 350 TBI, 700R4

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

pick up the drivabilty service manual, it has all the tests.. if i had a scanner i'd post em for ya.. they come up on ebay.. invaluable...

are you throwing codes? 43 for esc.. 42 for est.. 33 or 34 for map...

the knock sensor is part of the esc system. when it detects a knock, it shuts the voltage off from the esc module to the ecm, retarding the timing.. common problem is a faulty ground to the esc module..

ign module can be tested at most parts stores...

these items can all be tested with a basic scan tool...

3. my88texastruck

No codes at this time. Where would I fing a Driveability service manual?

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i got mine from ebay.. usually the best prices... they come up pretty often, depending on yr your looking for... goes into detail on all that stuff...

where you could actually just order one from, i don't know.. someone may have a link to a place..

what are the symptoms?

5. my88texastruck

Just poor performance all around is how I would describe it. It seems it all began after the pos. battery cable going to the starter shorted out on the manifold while it was running.
    Stumbly idle on cold start - dosen't fast idle up quite as high as before (RPM wise) - "rolling" acceleration - kinda feels like riding in a boat, no steady idle when warm - seems to idle up and down between 650 and 850 rpms. It just dosen't seem to have the power it once had.
    I have gone over all (I think) of the basics - NEW (within the past year) - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, some vacuum hoses replaced, PCV valve, Blaster coil, Fuel pump and filter, K&N air filter.
    I have checked the TPS with a volt meter and it checks within spec. but it could be dirty?? Might not be able to see any bad spots with a digital volt/OHM meter?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member