Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to tie down

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by BLZN4FN, Mar 23, 2004.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have been reading the past post on this but still lost.
    What is the best way to tie you rig on the trailer?
    alot of you think straps and some think chains but why?
    And should I tie the axles or tie it from the frame?
    If you have any pics of where you hock the straps or chains to on the truck would help.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Personally I would use either straps/chain and binders and attach it to the axles then another set of straps/chain and binders and pull all the suspension down so the body doesn't want to move around causing any trouble.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Oh boy, not again. This has been covered over and over on every truck board I know of. There is no *right* answer. Or at least not one that you'll get a majority to agree on.

I choose to use dual 10k straps on each axle, each at an angle to the trailer corners. Let the body move as it likes, I couldn't care less. My truggy is pretty slinky and I really don't even know it's back there...

I really love my straps. From what I've seen looking at the data, MUCH better than chains. And faster as an added bonus. Takes me less than 5 minutes now from driving up to the trailer till I'm ready to roll. Less than that to unload. Chaining is a PITA...

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Straps are probably good and safe, but I have a hard time trusting nylon over steel. What kind of data do you have on this?

5. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I use chains and binders to tie the truck down. I have gone around the axle, over the leaf springs, and over the frame at different times depending on the truck and have never really noticed a difference.

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh boy, not again. This has been covered over and over on every truck board I know of. There is no *right* answer. Or at least not one that you'll get a majority to agree on.

I choose to use dual 10k straps on each axle, each at an angle to the trailer corners. Let the body move as it likes, I couldn't care less. My truggy is pretty slinky and I really don't even know it's back there...

I really love my straps. From what I've seen looking at the data, MUCH better than chains. And faster as an added bonus. Takes me less than 5 minutes now from driving up to the trailer till I'm ready to roll. Less than that to unload. Chaining is a PITA...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I do the same thing. Two 10K straps at each end, then crossed (hooked to left side of axle and then to right side of trailer, etc...). No problems so far and it's quick and easy.

Regarding the straps vs. chains....go to the store and see what size of chain you need to get a 10,000 lb. rating! In my opinion, chains are heavy, harder to store, get rusty and dirty, and harder to work with.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I felt the same for a long time. I used chains designed for car haulers exclusively (I once had a car hauler).

But, if you look at the tests the nylon webbing is amazing strong. In fact, if you look at the load ratings compared to chains normally used for tie down you'll probably be rather surprised. Google should turn up some good info if you dig enough, but it will be hard to narrow the search. Back when I decided to go to straps, I spent quite a bit of time researching opinions (searching forums like this) and reading (apparently) authoritative and unbiased reviews. Unfortunately I did not retain the details of that research so I'm unable to site it now.

Currently, the only concern I have for straps is that any damage reduces their strength dramatically. That includes nicks and cuts as well as UV damage. So, you have to keep the straps clean, be careful in their placement to avoid damage, and inspect frequently. Fortunately they are relatively inexpensive so the urge to say, “Yeah, it’s frayed a bit, but it *should* be ok…” is not too strong.

Chains can take far more abuse and do not require vigilance in inspection and careful use like straps. There are really no concerns about cuts. Sling them around something and pull them tight against a sharp edge, no worries. Grease, dirt, who cares. Leaving them laying out on the trailer in the sun for months on end does not hurt them other than maybe a little surface rust, nothing that reduces their load bearing ability. Same for dirt and sand, the chain does not care, but the abrasive stuff can hurt a strap. I think this ability to withstand abuse is probably the only reason chains are still in use on haulers.

For me, I just take care of the straps and I’m careful to avoid getting them dirty, or cutting them. The added care is well worth the convenience and speed allowed by the straps, and the straps actually give me far more margin of safety than I ever had with my old chain setup which took so long to place/remove.

8. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input everyone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I think I will try tying it to the axles and take a couple of extra straps and if I dont feel real sure I will tie down the frame also.