Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How To Tow?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kim tate, Apr 28, 2000.

1. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

I need to move two trucks a distance of 1200 miles from Virginia to Louisiana this summer. Do you see any problems with using my K1500 to tow the K5 with a "car caddy" that carries just the front wheels off the ground? What do I need to think about?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well there are two concerns. First being able to stop. That K5 and dolly are going to be over 6k lb easy. Especially if you load both trucks down your looking at some serious weight.
    The other concern is the well being of the drivetrain in the K5. If it's open then pull the rear drive shaft and it should be fine. If it has a 208 rig up a way to support and hold the shaft into the case so the fluid doesn't run out and wrap something around the U-joint so it says together. If the truck has any sort of locking diff it might not be a good idea to tow that far. I know Detroits and flat towing are a no no and Most limited slips are also not recomended.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

3. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

i heard.. that if you have a 700r tranny that it would be highly recomended to put on a tranny cooler; reason being, that the 700r overheats when pulling a significant amount of weight.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

4. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

I thought that if you put the transfer case in neutral, it's OK to tow with the rear wheels on the road or even flat tow with all four wheels on the road. It seems to make sense because putting the T-case in neutral would de-couple the driveshafts from the transmission.

The reason you can't usually tow a vehicle with the drive wheels on the ground is that the trans will screw up because it is being turned by the rotating drive wheels, but the trans pump is not turning because the engine is not running, so there is no fluid circulation. That's why you have to remove the driveshaft if you're going to tow with the drive wheels on the ground. But since we have Neutral in our T-cases, doesn't that do the same thing as removing the driveshaft?

Is this correct?

Richard
    '76 K-5 Blazer
    '90 K-5 Blazer

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

You can do that, but not more than like 50 miles. That was what the manual said.
    Boss

6. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

On my 241 (similar to the 208), when in neutral, it will disengage from the tranny, but will engage the chain to spin the front driveline, so that oil will be slingin' around inside the case. Aside from the locking rear diff issue: Just as long as you have your front driveline removed, I don't see why you would have any problems. I say removed because I wouldn't take the chance of something happening on the front axle to engage the front wheels and have it leap off the dolly. Can't help you on the lockers, I would like to know WHY you can't. It seems as though the locker would work the same whether accelerating, decelerating, coasting or being towed. Can someone help with this question?

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

7. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Grim-Reaper, you voiced my biggest concern and that's the problem with braking quickly and under reasonable control during a panic stop. The dolly was available for my use free; however, I'll go the expense of renting a suitable trailer with electric brakes. You hit the nail on the head - both trucks will be loaded down. Thanks.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I towed my K-5 from North Carolina to Texas on a car hauler in which the whole truck went on the trailer, so I didn't have to worry about the drivetrain. I rented the trailer at U-Haul and towed it with my buddy's K-3500 dually.

Money--&gt;Blazer

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

could u run it with the steer axle on the ground...as long as it is unlocked there dosent seem like there would be a big problem....i dont really like the idea of the drive axle on the ground....seems like something would get screwed up too easy...on the front as long as it is unlocked it should just be running on the spinel and no gears will be spinning...
    just my .02
    Chaz

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

walrus has a good point, if it is a 700R4 trans, do NOT let it shift itself into overdrive, you will be paying for a rebuild shortly if you do that. Leave it in Drive or 3.......

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]