Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to tune a carb for hills? search didn't help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Jun 1, 2003.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

How to tune a carb for hills? search didn\'t help!

I have just gotten into real trail riding and hills/rock ledges and my carb is giving me fits. It runs great on the street and in the mud but get it on an incline and it dies. It is a holley 3110 with the dual metering block upgrade. I think the floats need adjusted from what I have read on other boards but want to hear what more people have done. I know carbs are not great on hills but have seen them work 10 times better than mine.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: How to tune a carb for hills? search didn\'t help!

Most Holley carbs don't work worth a darn once the truck starts bouncing and/or is on a steep hill. The stock Quardajet carbs are much more forgiving off road. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Holley sells a lot of special parts to make their carbs work better, but it isn't cheap to do them all. Spring loaded needle and seats, slosh baffles for the bowl vents, and special float bowls.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

replace it with a TBI setup from a big block...
    Grant

4. backyardbuilt

I would do that if I had cash, just want to get it better for now.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

lower the float levels as much as possible.

6. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

connect both of the fuel bowl vents together with a piece of 1/4 inch hard line with a slight bend in it to clear your air cleaner stud...make sure you drill several small holes in it cause they need to breath,the stock breather tubes should stick up enough to sleeve them to attach the new tube..this works on edlebrock and carter carbs also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif this wont cure all the probls with the holley but it will help ..you can also lower the floats to just below the site holes in the bowls without running it out of fuel...

7. backyardbuilt

My floats were at different settings would that cause problems too.

8. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

yeppers
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

i think my float are off also, it's stumbling around corners, when i make fast stops, and it's worthless off-road it stalls on slight incline. While i'm lowering my float bowls i wanna do this, do you have a pic?

10. texas78k5

texas78k5 Registered Member

Having the same problem, I just recieved the #1465 Edelbrock "needle and seat" kit from Summit . Edelbrocks site say set the floats at 3/8" and instructions included says 7/16"?????? We'll see!

11. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

if TBI or something like that is not a good alternative due to cost... look into a holley truck avenger... I like mine.... havent got it in supreme angles yet... but I did have to enter a tight trail (where a dozer put a berm) and I was aiming upwards.... so far I love this carb (when it is warm as the choke sucks) :grin:

12. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Old Timers trick- slip about 12" of fuel line over the vent tubes, and leave em coiled up inside the air cleaner. Keeps fuel from coming out the vent tubes and flooding the motor.

13. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I have herd that swaping to a Q-jet while using an square bore adapter so you can spin the q-jet 180 degrees around works realy well because of the q-jet's fuel bowl design. Don't know a hole lot about the setup however...I use a truck avenger.

14. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

I use a holley with lowered float and this idea but I use a rubber fuel line to extend the vents. No problem on hills or off chambers!

15. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

carbs and wheelin mix like oil and water

if you want i can get you a 350 with TBI and computer ..will not smoke..1000$

16. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

3310 Mods

I'm running a 3310-1 on my BBC402. For off road running I've added the whistle float bowl vents, spring loaded needle and seat. Float bowl vent extensions are also a good idea. Overall, give the $ and T invested it would have been better just to find a cheap TBI setup - diminishing returns.

The mod'd 3310 runs well on fire roads and modest off camber stuff but I have no intention of more extreme usage (yet).

17. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

18. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

find someone with a street-only truck willing to trade your holley for a q-jet. mine has never given me any trouble on inclines. last time i was out, i stalled it once when my front end slammed down from about 3' up (long story), but i was able to start it back up immediately. some of the tricks mentioned on here are good, but they won't make it outperform a q-jet or a truck avenger offroad.

19. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Nah, I like my Holley. Absolutely no problems offroad on side angles or hill climbs. I know how to tune them and no electronics to fail. If I swap I'll go the TBI route.

20. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

Here is what I told another guy with the same general questions in a different thread:

I originally ran a rochester q-jet and it worked great off-road but it was old and then started leaking really bad so I picked up a brand new Edelbrock Performer and it ran awesome until I tried to go up a hill, or I hit a bump... Also when they die and get flooded they are a B*tch to get started again! They will go up any hill backward tho(only know from experience from otherwise being stuck going forward). I was then going to get TPI becuase I have a thing for corvettes and u can get a lot of power out of it, but it was ganna cost me about $800 and a lot of time. So I watched ebay for about a month for a Holley Truck Avenger 670 cfm and after loosing a couple of bids I finally won one for $162!!!! Bolted it on, fired right up, and it can take on anything I can throw at it!!!

By far the best carb on the market as far as dependability and price go!