Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to turn off Interior Lights?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert D, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

How the heck do I turn the interior lights off? They turn on every time I open a door, and I'd like to be able to enable/disable them during the day so I can leave the doors open when working on the truck and not run the battery dead. I'd also like to be able to turn them on at night without opening the doors, in case I need to find something in the truck. I took the dash off yesterday and did not see a switch anywhere for this. In fact, the only 2 switches I see on the dash are the headlight/interior dimmer switch and the rear window switch. I searched on this topic and found topics, but none of them really answered my question.

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Make model and year would help ;)

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The head light switch if you rotate it counter clockwise it will turn the interior light on with the door shut. I also think if you turn it clockwise it will dim the dash lights and I think it might dim the interior light also but I could be wrong. It is pretty simple wiring on two an orange and I think a white. You could put another reostate in line with the power and create your own dome light dimmer.

Ira

4. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, I did not know the dimmer worked like that! I'll have to play around with it. Sorry about not stating the model/year, I haven't gotten to paying the membership dues and thus have no signature. The truck is a 1991 GMC Jimmy Full-Size. What I'm guessing now is there is no way to turn off the lights when the door opens aside from wiring in my own switch? Not too big of a deal.

5. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

"Mechanical engineers build bombs, civil engineers build targets. "

...and Electrical Engineers connect the bombs with the targets :).

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

You are correct, sir.

And, turning the light switch to the right will dim the dash & related lights only. The dome light doesn't change. Turning it left will brighten, and all the way left will turn on the dome light if it's off at the current time. It's also a reason people often may find a dead battery .. by turning it, opening a door, and then shutting the door and walking away.

Don't be next. wink:

7. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heads-up. I wonder if the siren for the headlights could also be wired into the dome-light function of the headlight switch. Once I buy a manual with a wiring diagram I can dig into these things further.

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

There was a wire diagram on ebay that ended several times without a bid. It was a factory manual, for 91's. It was a month or so ago, but it may be worth a shot.

9. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Sweet, I'll search for it and contact the seller. Thanks again!

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Depending on the year of your truck, your dome light may be connected to the fuse box through an electrical connector up front. You could just unplug that. However, the lights under the dash would remain on. For that, you could splice a small switch onto both white wires coming from the switches on the doors, and open up the circuits when the doors are open, that'd turn the lights off.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

unmarked cars and trucks..

They used to sell metal straps that you screwed on next to the door jamb button that turns the dome lights on--you just swiveled it over the button to hold it in to keep the lights off...all the cop cars and trucks had them (not sure about later models though)I think J.C. Whitney sold them.....a switch in line with the dome light wires would work too..I shove a block of wood between the button and the door to keep the light off-but I've broken the jamb switch buttons doing that too... :doah:

After 10 years of salt around here,the door jamb switches usually corrode enough so the dome light wont come on anymore unless you wiggle the buttons on them... :doah: ..oh well,at least they don't drain the battery.. :rolleyes: :crazy:

12. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Take the bulb out if you want the light off when the door is open. It only takes a second.