Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to weld a 14-Bolt Gov-Lock?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ddtoby, May 13, 2002.

1. ddtoby

ddtoby Newbie

Tried searching. I have a 14-Bolt FF, 3.73 Gears and Gov-Lock. I want to weld the thing together. Since I cannot see the spiders, do I just pull the main bearing caps off, pull the gov-lock carrier out and will I then see where to weld?? I pulled the bearing caps off but could not get the ring gear/carrier out, does it just pull straight out? After the piggy bank gets some cash in it I plan on swapping gears and then to an open carrier so i can weld, but what about now? Thanks in advance!

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

id like to know too...

BUMP

3. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Not sure on the welding. Have to pull mine out of the junk pile to see.

To remove the carrier, you need to back off the adjusters. Keep track of how far you move them so your gear set up will be where it needs to be upon re-assembly.

4. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am going to start off by saying that i am straight talking out of my ass but from what i have heard and know it seems like it would be a whole lot more trouble to find and weld the gears and deal with all the clutch packs than to just wait till you find an open carrier to weld up.

5. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Dale,
    I welded my 4.56 Gov locker up and love it. It's been a while since then but (after completely disassembling the locker) I remember using a die grinder with a cut off wheel to cut and remove all the clutches. Then I welded the side gears to the carrier and reinstalled. Be sure to clean the carrier very well before and after welding. Go to
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tech/detroit/ and look for the article Shawn Spicler wrote. Great write up and pics for the 14BFF.