Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How to wire a winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLZN4FN, Feb 6, 2005.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have a Warn X8000I. I would like to wire it up so I dont have to use the controller.My idea is to put a toggle switch in the dash or buy one from seabass. The winch has 3 wires off the top if that helps. Any help would realy help on this I dont have any wiring schmatics(Sp).

Bo

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whenever I wired my Ramsey, I just played with the three wires until I had full control of the winch. Took me a few tries but I didn't hurt anything while troubleshooting figuring out which wire is which. They should attach near the solenoid so you can run a new 3 wire setp to the cab that will be long enough to go where you want to with it. I have considered a setup from seabass, but my wich is in between the frame rails so is a major PITA to get to to rewire so I am fine with my fender mounted socket to plug my cable into for now.

3. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

I used two swiches inside the cab. One is an on/off only the other is a On/Off/On three way. The on/off is a safty that enables the other switch. the Three way is On(in) / Off (center) / On(out).
    I used just the three way until I accdently ran the cable out when my dog (sammy:) hit the swich.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Find the two small wires that move your solenoid. You can do so by shorting those small wires one at a time to the large lug/wire on the solenoid to find out which one is in and which is out.

Run both of those wires into one side of a double pole, single throw switch (4 terminals). Out of that switch, run the wires into a single pole, double throw switch. The DPST switch will be your on/off. The SPDT will be your in/out. From the SPDT switch, run one wire, fused, to your fusebox or to your battery directly. Put the fuse as close to the current source as possible to avoid a fire and to protect the wiring. I will draw you a schematic when I get a chance, it's really pretty easy.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[​IMG]

Sorry to you electricians since this schematic is an absolute joke. I drew it in paint. Sorry I don't have Autocad Electrical. :grin: