Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how to wire accessories

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Feb 25, 2007.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so i know how to run wires and hook them up but always do it wrong..
    I have a drain on my system....

when you add accessories... like say kc's.. well you use relays. Where should you get the power from? ign on the fusebox?
    I currently have my relays running back to my battery.... however I dont think this is bad as when the switch is thrown then the relay kicks on...

I think I narrowed my drain down.. I had 3 wire plugs plugged into each other..
    radio, interior light and another wire I dont know what it goes to....
    so I used to just unplug that and it seemed that my batteries lasted longer...
    so I keep on just unplugging them.....
    I am gonna rewire everything and just looking to plan on how to start the wiring...

I just put my isolator in so that will help.....

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Rootbreaker!

Nice rig. I followed you while you were on pavementsucks. I'd love to come play at the Pine's with you in the MUD. Maybe I'll get up there soon. Anyway, I'm about to wire my PIAA's today. I have 2 sets of driving and 1 set of fog. Each work off of relays. There is nothing wrong with you running directly off the battery. In fact, that is a good thing, because overloading your fuse panel creates the draw you state you have and can bog the electrical system down.

You can get a terminal strip that connects to the battery, then you can hook all your relay's to that strip. It keeps things nice and simple. Make sure you inline fuse the set-up so that you don't blow anything on your lights. Most kits come with them, so make sure you use them.

Best wishes! I'll be posting up my wiring later today. Check it out!

Manny

3. RootBreaker

I just posted up a huge post but my computer just crashed.. crap....

anyway... yeah Ill wheel with ya.... im not gonna be ready till summer...

anyway... I have 16 fuses that are external to the panel and 8 relays.. remember that fuse panel I bought...

[​IMG]

looks like crap but gonna clean it up when I rewire everything...

[​IMG]

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Okay,

Did you wire this fuse panel directly to the battery or through the box in the cab? Separate the two is the best. Using strip terminals to the fuze and relay is the best bet with a wire mess like that. You can seal them up and create a waterproof connection. It also makes tracing easier.

Manny

5. RootBreaker

if you look in the middle.... you will see some yellow... that is where I ran from the battery to get power to it....
    then all the fuses are active and I just crimped to the relays in use...
    im going to redo all that too.....

6. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

cool! Wiring is so easy! Just map everything out and you'll be fine. Don't use too small a guage, and likewise, not to heavy a guage. Lighter guage can't handle the volt/amp and will burn up. Too heavy and the resistance the wire offers will diminish or even stop volts/amps.

I recommend WranglerNW to you. They have anything and everything you could need for wiring at great prices. www.wranglernw.com

If you need any help, just ask.

Manny

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

pull the positive battery cable.. put a test light or meter between the post and cable... it'll light/read if you have a draw... pull fuses, disconnect relays etc till the light goes out.. there's your prob....

8. RootBreaker

so take my positive lead off.... put test light say gator clip side to battery... then connect the point to the pos cable.. if it lights I have a draw?

so there is nothing that draws any power when a truck is off?
    well I guess that is true as when the truck is off.... the door is closed the interior light is not on... Ok will do this once my son takes a nap...
    thanks
    Jeff

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hey Jeff.. yeah it don't matter which is to which between the cable and the post, your just completing the circuit... and yup, it'll light up...

your fuse/breaker for each circuit should be prior to the relay... they are designed to protect the components of that cicuit, mainly the wire and acc being fired up, but it protects the relay as well......

10. RootBreaker

well I just tested it.... no go....

I had pos cable off... connected test light to cable and touched the post.... no light on my test light = no drain.... WTF!!!!!

I did test the testlight... hot to ground and it lit so light is good...

what now?

or you know what...

I did change something.....

I moved my radio, interior light and some other plug to ignition... wonder if that did it......hmmmm... oh the other one was my factory tach.... do you think a factory tach could kill a battery in about a week?