Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how tough is my np 208 tranfer case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4 Cowboy, Mar 27, 2003.

1. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

i know it is not as tough as a divorced 205. but is it tough enough to last till i can swap it out. im putting on a six inch and crossover steering with a 14 bolt. the truck is a daily driver but it also see alot of action on the rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My 208 is the only thing left in my drivetrain that is stock. It has 153K on it and no problems. I haven't done any "hardcore" offroading with it, but I have done a fair amount of offroading with it without a hitch. I am currently running 4.56's, lockers, and 3/4 ton axles. I am only running 32's though. I have done full throttle pulls in the dirt in low range, and no problem. I also climbed a nice loose steep rock hill with it and no problems. But beyond that I haven't done to much since the upgrades. But I personally don't plan to swap it out anytime soon. If I do I am going to swap to a 241, and that is only if the 208 breaks. Just make sure to keep if full of fluid and I don't see why you can't run it for along time, or at least till you are ready to swap to a 205.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I put lots of power through mine with no problems. Plus I have run my Jimmy down the 1/4 in 4wd for traction. The only thing you need to watch out for is bashing it on a rock and keeping it full of clean ATF.

John /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

IMO, steel is real, or at least cast iron in my case /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The only aluminum components left in my powertrain are the bellhousing...

I think the when treated properly, and well protected, a 208 can live a loing and happy life. I got rid of mine for a number of reasons, but I am the kinda guy that doesn't want to worry about ANYTHING on my truck EVER...I like knowing that my 465/205 combo is stout enough to live with what I put it through...

Just wrap up the case with some protection (check out Harley's (aka Hossbaby50) skid plate that Tim at 4x4Iron made...pretty slick deal...

Chris

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has split a few 208s in half...but that is on a truck with a 500 HP 454 and 44" Boggers rompin in the sand dunes.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Keep clean ATF in it and don't break it on a rock and it'll be just fine. My biggest complaint is how far it sticks down. It's at axle tube height. It's there just itching to get chunks taken out of it. Mine has two pices missing, one is a casting ear down low on the driver's side and the other is somewhere else.

I've seen guys use them in mud drags behind nistrous-sucking 454s sitting on 40" rubber beat on them. Once in a while you'll see one where the case is all spiderweb cracked. However, I've never heard of one breaking internally. Running one in 4wd all the time on asphalt does ruin the chain after a while.

7. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

i have a custom skid plate over it so i think i wont bash it so i guess it will work. thanks guys