Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how tough is powder coating?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 20, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I am just future planning what I want to do to the k5, and when I get the cage in, I may get it powder coated. The only thing that bothers me is if I hit a rock, or "slide" along a rock, I dont want to take off all the powder coat. Will it come off if I do that? I just dont want to have a bunch of chip marks where rocks hit on the cage showing bare metal again.
    Also I wouldn't mind doing my diff covers (when I get my d60 and 14bff /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif) with powder coat too.

So! Will the powder coat hold up to rocks jumping out at it, and sliding along them? Or would it be better just to put a enamel (or some kind of hard paint) on it and just do touch ups when I scratch it?
    Im all open /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Its tougher than paint but as for that tough, eh I wouldn't waste the money. Powdercoating some parts can leave a really nice finish and can be worth it. Things like spring plates and cage would be good candidates. Its not so much that they WILL chip but when they do its a lot more expensive to recoat them than it is to just grab the rattle can.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I HAVE HAD TO HAVE A NUMBER OF RAILINGS I HAVE MADE POWDER COATED.
    and i am not impressed. it will chip off on the rocks, it is a very hard coating and seams to chip esaly, It is not worth the high expence.
    regular paint is much beter, and if you want a real nice finish a good automotive paint is much beter than the powdercoat.

i wouldent waste my money on it. my .02

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

paid over 300 to get my rims done, and first trip out, they all got scratched down to the metal, rattle canned over the scratches and all was good, but i wouldnt do it on anything that sees rocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

i had an aluminum intake done. it was new but still cracked. i have heard good things about powdercoat but the stuff i have seen wasn't much better than paint!

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay. I will just use paint, and I wont waste my money on powdercoat.
    Thanks guys!