Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how useful is a snorkel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Mar 16, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking, would it be productive at all to keep my stock air cleaner housing, and rig up some kinda PVC snorkel out of the fender? I'm never going to be fording something as deep as my carb, so it wouldn't have to be a perfect fit, I just want it kinda as splash projection. Would this be worth doing? What would be a good way to make it connect with the stock air cleaner? Anybody got some homemade snorkel pics? Any ideas on the subject would be awsome.
    thanks,
    James

PS: I know, I should stick to rocks and not worry about mud :(

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Spalsh protection ? Stock air cleaner , dryer vent , and the piece from an 80's truck it went to on the core support . Perfect splash protection :thumb:

3. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

I just went to the hardware store and got some 5 inch HVAC pipe. It is metal and snaps together and it fits perfect on a 5 1/8" carb then I got a long piece of all thread to hold the aircleaner to the pipe to the carb and cut a hole in the hood. I cut the pipe to a length where the bottom of the air cleaner is just level with the hood. It keeps water from splashing in the air cleaner and I can keep an eye on the air cleaner to see if it will go underwater. Just make sure to silicone where the pipe snaps together. If water gets to that aircleaner chances are the distributor is already under anyway.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I like mine.. paid alot though... wife wanted it to look nice and no pvc out of the hood.... yes you can mod your stock air cleaner....I did....

now mine isnt waterproof.... just splash proof... I wanted something where if I go in and it gets too deep I can either hammer it if i got a few feet to go or back right out.....or if front end drops insomeone can hurry up and pull me out.....

since I have a holley carb.... I bought a 3" metal carb extender from a junkyard so the intake fits right again.... then cut the stock breather back and went to home depot... $20 worth of stuff..plus $10 for the extender = $30 to get the breather to my fender.... I had enough pipe to make the snorkel but wife wanted something nice...

so a nice call to 4x4connections.com and ordered me a fj-80 snorkel for $300 to my door.... all in all I love it.... havent submerged far enough to use it but it has done me good so far.....

[​IMG]

im right behind this guy.. drove right up to him.... he used my bumper to step on.... then hooked up and I pulled him out...a good use of the snorkel....

[​IMG]

guy didnt configure his camera.. got a 5.1mp camera that does movies via dvd.... anyway.. 160x100 resolution it sucks.. but can give you the idea of what depths we got here...

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=292119..the

5. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i like that set up . looks nice to :D

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

RootBreaker, Thanks, That's exactly what I was looking for. I've got a few questions. When you want to work on your carb or just get the air cleaner off, how hard is it? Do you have to unscrew something, or do you just slide it aside? Do you have a parts list of all the things you used? What about some close up pics of where the snorkel exits the fender? I need to figure out how far back to put mine.
    thanks,
    James

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

they give you a template.... I put it on my fender.... drew the hole and where the bolts go through....

tool list...
    cutoff wheel (cut inner fender to get arm in there)
    metric ratchetting wrench... boxed type - cant get a wratchet in there

Parts list
    ARB Snorkel
    came with adapter to snorkel...
    Took that adapter with me and bought the white piece... converter from 3 1/2 to 4" I believe....
    then a 4" 45 degree elbow
    piece of 4" pvc
    4" to 4" cast iron pipe to pvc adapter..... that is about it..

I will tell you one thing.. everyone says if the truck catches fire the PVC smoke can kill you... I only have a small piece in there and if the truck is on fire I AM NOT GOING TO BE NEAR IT ANYWAY!!! so pvc is the least of my problems....

bolting it on wasnt easy.... you basically have studs that screw into the snorkel.... then when you put it on the fender..... you have to put a nut and washer on the inner fender side... so had to cut a hole in the fender to get my arm in there.. then the wratchetting wrenches (not cheap) allowed me to tighten it up......

to take it off is a pitta.... I just put a screw from the straight pvc to 45 degree pvc.. but the fit is so tight... I just take the cleaner off and the entire piece to the snorkel... just loosen the hose clamp.....

also I didnt connect the top of my snorkel to the cab yet.. havent really tried to as the bracket they give you is for a FJ-80 and the bracket is like 2" and I need a longer one.....

also I can fully open my door with 1/4" clearance. That is how nice of a fit it was.....