Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How well do K5s tow?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I found a bit of a neat truck today while looking at a beater toyota for a buddy of mine...

Its an 82 GMC Sierra Classic Jimmy, fully loaded with AC, P/W, P/L, high back buckets, full gauges -- Pretty much everything. Equipped with a red block 6.2L diesel, 700r4 and 3.42 diffs.

Neat thing about it, its a one owner truck, the lady I spoke with bought it brand new in 82. She had the transmission changed about 5000 miles ago becuase it spat out the front seal. The truck only has 50 000 original miles! The interior is very nice, cracked dash pad is the only problem inside, the carpet, seats, door panels etc are all in excellent shape, and is trimmed with brushed aluminum.

Now, the truck does have engine problems. The lady I spoke with, who is also the only owner of the truck, said that it started making noise on the way home, and that her mechanic claimed it is either a crank or flexplate issue. I didn't try to start it today, since it is pretty cold out, and I only had my boat's deep cycle with me to try the Toyota I was there to look at originally. She said that she only drove it occasionally since new, and that it ran very well right up until it started making noise.

The body does have rust issues, but if I were to swap my old 80 front clip on, and my 80's doors, then I'd just have rocker boxes, and rear fenderwells to fix.

So, here is my dilemma, I've decided I'm only going to keep two trucks around. My 96, and one project. However, I need a truck that can be used to haul at least 6 quads on an 18 foot light duty flat-deck trailer. It already has a 12 000 lb hitch on it, and is equipped with an old school brake controller that is tied into the brake lines.

If I were to swap my 80's 6.0L / NV4500 / NP241 into the K5, along with my 3/4 ton diffs and 1 ton springs, would the K5 be alright to tow the the quads, or would it just have way too short of a wheel base to be safe?

I know a guy can pop a quad into the back of the K5 if you pull the seat out, and lift the top off, so that'd be good enough for me for other camping trips...

I guess I should mention, the truck only costs 500 bucks :doah:

2. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

short WB is no good for towing

3. Russell

yeah, but I doubt I'd be towing the bobcat with it, lol

I just got back from a second, closer look at it. I took a battery with me, and fired it up. I was very impressed how easy that thing started for being -10 outside, no problems at all. One of the healthiest sounding 6.2s I've ever heard, absolutely no bad engine noises at all, just a nice healthy diesel rattle.

Problem is the transmission. I went to drop it into gear, and got absolutely nothing. No hammering noises, just nothing. I think the torque converter might have gone on her, causing the noise she heard when she last drove it over a year ago. I'm going to put a new torque converter in, and see if it moves then.

Either way, for 500 bucks, I'm bringing it home tommorow!

4. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

regardless of if its a single owner 50,000 mile vehicle if its rusted out and the drivetrain has issues I don't see whats so special about it.
    Just get a lwb truck to tow with...then you can even pop a quad or two in the bed if you don't want to take them all on certain trips.

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Its relatively nice for 500 bucks :rolleyes:

6. Russell

Biggest problem is that my 80 is a real basket case at the moment... It needs just about everything just to put it on the road... I've been working on it for like 4 years, and haven't gotten anywhere, and I'm already running into problems trying to register and insure it...

I'm going to swap the NV4500 / NP241 into this truck behind the diesel, and get the body done this summer. Depending on how I like the diesel, I'll decide if I want to put the 6.0L in or not later on. I can easily sell the 6.0L for twice what I paid for it any time I want...

This truck has the whole interior, in nice shape, solid floor pans, and a solid bed floor as well. Its just some rust on the doors, rockers, rocker boxes, and around the rear fender wells.

I'm not worried about some rust, but when you have to totally rebuild your suspension, steering etc, then suddenly that 500 dollar 50 000 mile truck looks a whole lot more attractive :d

Besides, K5s are way nicer camping trucks anyways. The only thing that makes my 80 "special" to me is that front clip, and the cab lights. All of which will wind up on the K5 (I'm interested to see how cab lights look on a K5 :D)

7. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sounds like you've got a plan...keep us posted :) ooo and pics!