Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How well does diamond plate hold up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Oct 27, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Anybody weld diamond plate on to sheet meteal like the ones they sell for Jepp corners? Thought about welding some on to the lower edge sheet metal behind door as well, anybody?

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The diamond plate itself would hold up well depending on the thickness used. The larger the piece the more any impact will be spread out...
    As for welding it to the body that could be kinda tough to do without creating future rust issues. The body material is thin and the best way to weld it is to grind the body metal down to bare steel and have a tight fit. Otherwise you'll blow holes through the body trying to weld it. I would weld 1" stitch welds around the edges of the piece and then seal it with some seam sealer, or even herculine the whole deal after.

Problems I could foresee would be distortion of the body metal above the welded area, and possible rust problems associated with 'lapping' two pieces of steel and any moisture that will get trapped between them.

I'd use some stainless steel 3/16" pop rivets and some sort of sealer on the back side of the diamond plate. Then you could use aluminum diamond plate and would likely not have rust issues later.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I know a guy who did something similar to his truck, I think he used Aluminum diamond plate and screws, not exactly sure but I do know it was not welded. Came out looking pretty decent and covered up some damage and avoid future damage. He wheels the truck pretty hard. Its a dark green ~'95 Dodge 1/2 ton ex cab short box, you may have seen it driving around this area, its also been in a lot of magazines.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Like this <a target="_blank" href=http://offyourrockers.com/>http://offyourrockers.com/</a>

I guess they don't get welded on, pop rivited or bollted on.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

6. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Agree with everyone, don't weld it, unless you don't intend for it to last or just repairing just out. A suggestion is get the panels, pop rivet a few places and use FUZOR inbetween the two. With FUZOR you could probably get away with no rivets, but just in case. The stuff seals and adhears great, get the black sealer/adhesive. Last forever, no chemical breakdown. IMHO.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General