Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How well will a D44 hold up to POWER???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Jan 1, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I am seriously contemplating doing a solid axle swap on my Dodge 2wd cummins. In a moment of sheer stupidity I decided to order an incomplete truck on the estimate that i'd never be doing any mud running or hill climbing with it. What a stupid reason. With a 2wd diesel, you can get stuck on wet grass if the conditions are right, which i found out while hunting today. What B.S. So I've been following along with a 4wd swap on the TDR where a guy used a Ford RC D60, 205 divorced case, and 1.25 ton cucv springs. He said it cost him around $2500 for the swap. Since I'm a po boy, I'm wanting to do the same thing, only with a RC D44 to save some bucks. I'm wondering if the D44 will hold up to the torque the cummins puts out. I'll only be running stock 31-32" tires. Traction is the main issue here. And the front end will hold a lock right. Any forseeable problems???

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yeah, the lock right. I'de leave it open and just not beat on it. I think with stock tires and using the skinny pedal lightly it will be ok. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Seeing as how the smallest axle that Dodge puts under the Cummins trucks is a D60, I don't think that I'd go any smaller than that. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif It would be like doing an SFA on a new GM 1/2 ton and using a D30. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif</font color>

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I concur with Shaggy. My FI has a Cummins with twin 60's and there is no way a 44 could stand up with the power he has, even though he doesn't wheel it, but every once in awhile he's had to do "things" that would destroy a 44 into little bitty pieces.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

ARGH...at 20K is it already time to trade up??? I'm hatin it!!!

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Trade it in for a 4wd model for less work. I don't know though, down there aren't most used trucks farm trucks like up in my neck of the woods of OK?

All I know it's nice to have access to something that has somewhere in the neighborhood of 500hp and over 700lbs of torque. I think the numbers are closed, the engine has been reworked. Like I said, he doesn't wheel it, but the places he goes he occasionaly needs the 4wd. One day, he was taking down a tree that was about 4-5' in diameter from the front yard and he hooked up, truck was on the street and throw it down into low lock and you should of seen the smoke from teh exhaust! Had optimum traction, no slippage at all and nothing broke but the tree. Not saying you'll be pulling stunts like that, but it's nice to have that peace of mind.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Dude, i got stuck on wet grass today. WET GRASS!!! What a crock of BS!!! Luckily a guy came by and pulled me out, but I was fuming and pissed. 2wd diesels have no place in the world...Found one down the street that i might be able to trade straight up on...we'll see. This is my dream truck, except for the mysterious missing front axle. D'oh! I knew better than to buy a damn 4x2....

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

you think wet grass is bad, when i was up in the mountains in the snow i got stuck on a paved and plowed driveway in 4WD. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

How the hell did you do that!!!

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well i wasn't able to make any forward progress at all, I still was able to back down and get a semi running start at it to make it up. dam mud tires in the snow /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

For the kind of sitting your truck does I would go for some rockwells, when the fluid has been sitting in the axle that long, it can break down and damage the bearings and seals...the parts in rockwells can take it a lot better than the ones in your D44

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

crap im a retard i assumed you were talking about the Blazer...just now read that post

13. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

IMHO I would trade for a 4x4 Cummins that maybe is a couple years older than your 02 that way you should come out even in the trade no money lost /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You would have a very stout truck with a front D60 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

My biggest concern would be the amount of weight sitting on the front axle and the affect it would have on parts like the hubs and bearings. Another thing to consider is what the resale value of the truck would be with a custom fabbed front axle under it, if you ever decided to sell it. Most people I know, including myself, are pretty weary about buying custom fabbed vehicles especially when you can go a buy something factory built.

Any 2wd pickup with an empty bed doesn't do very good, add the heavy diesel engine on the front and it's worse. Also take into account, I assume, that the original tires are still on it. Add a decent set of tires on the rear and some weight in the bed and it will make a world of difference.

15. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">If you do this, you can kiss your warantee goodbye. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mabye get a cheap ATV to throw in the back for hunting?

16. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm wondering if the D44 will hold up to the torque the cummins puts out.

[/ QUOTE ]

lemmie put it this way, Chevrolet refused to put a D44 behind a big block, thats why all 4WD suburbans etc... came with a small block, Id say they were afraid of warranty issues, and Ive personally slaughtered every part there is on a D44 with a Big Blocks torque. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif