Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how well would this combo tow

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by bad_bo_ti, Jan 5, 2004.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i have a chance to buy an 84 1ton 4x4 350 4speed 4.10s i think and was wondering how well it would tow heavy loads, say a gooseneck trailer with a truck on it how well do you think it would do? thanks, chris

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I've had an experience last year riding with someone towing a fullsize on a flatbed with an 89 chevy 4 door dually, 4 speed, with a 350 and 4.10's. It did ok, although you could tell the 350 was working pretty hard, especially on the hills. The gas mileage wasn't great either, but it did the job. He didn't know what the tow rating was so I couldn't give you solid numbers on how close we were to the max rating. The load was around 7000lbs. I'd shoot for a big block if you could find one. But this was a common engine even in the work trucks, so it should get the job done if it had to.

BIGJ

3. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I agree with BIGJ. It'll do it, but it'll be working hard. An '84 350 doesn't make a whole lot of power, unless it's been modified. Heck, I used to tow a K20 mud truck on a very heavy trailer with an '85 C10 with a 305/4 spd. It wasn't fun or pretty (or safe), but it did it. Thank God for that granny gear, or it wouldn't have gotten it moving. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif There's no comparison to having more than enough truck for the job, though. It can make the difference between a white knuckle trip to a relaxed, enjoyable trip. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

That truck should have the suspension (handling) and brakes to pull a fairly heavy load. Sure, the 350 might dog a little on grades but should be okay. You can put a built 454 into a CJ-7 but it still would be crappy tow rig........

5. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Would make a great base vehicle. Could always upgrade the 350 later (383?), or drop in a FINE Big Block. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

ok cool thanks, i figured it would make a good tow vehichle, it would be a lot better than the 93 1/2ton i am driving now. thanks, again

7. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Reg cab or Crew Cab?

8. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

reg. cab

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i have a chance to buy an 84 1ton 4x4 350 4speed 4.10s i think and was wondering how well it would tow heavy loads, say a gooseneck trailer with a truck on it how well do you think it would do? thanks, chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is an 80 crew cab 4x4, tired 350 4 speed 4.10's and I tow my blazer, my big boat with relative ease, and I get 9MPG towing and 11MPG non towing.
    It also takes a QT of oil every gas tank. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

It will work fine. On my towing job that I do one of our back up wreckers is a C-50 with a 350/SM465 not sure of the rear gears but it will do 65 with out winding up to much. I have used it several times for pulling motor homes and 14-17 ft U-haul trucks. Sure a 350 don't have the off the line pulling power of a big block but once your up to highway speeds they do just fine.

11. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

so basically the combo i am talking about is good for towing but its nothing to use if i need to pull a heavy trailer and do stop light darg races with!! lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif it will get the job done that i need but will just take a while to build speed. do you guys think 3200 is a fair price for the truck, mechanically its sound the body has typical gm rot. just courious /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so basically the combo i am talking about is good for towing but its nothing to use if i need to pull a heavy trailer and do stop light darg races with!! lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif it will get the job done that i need but will just take a while to build speed. do you guys think 3200 is a fair price for the truck, mechanically its sound the body has typical gm rot. just courious /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I bought mine, a crew cab SRW same running gear as yours, six months ago for $3000 and the engine is a little tired but still runs.
    I have no idea what the prices in your area are but I thought mine was a good price because of the crew cab, a regular cab here is not worth that much.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

well i guess the reason why it is priced like that is because the guy knows what he has /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    well i guess the reason why it is priced like that is because the guy knows what he has /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Wave $2200 cash under his nose and he will probably be willing to deal. It is amazing how quickly firm prices will fall with a little cash in someones face. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Wave $2200 cash under his nose and he will probably be willing to deal. It is amazing how quickly firm prices will fall with a little cash in someones face. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
    My guy wanted 3500 firm, I waited a couple of months and then said what is the lowest you take now.
    I even had a down payment and 3 payments within a month and he took the $3000.

16. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

well he is actually wanting to trade me for my 93 chevy x-cab shortbed (the one that got vandalized) he said he would give me cash also but i dont even know where to begin on a price for my truck.

17. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    but i dont even know where to begin on a price for my truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get an insurance settlement or damage estimate on the vandilism? Just start with the value before the vandilism and subtract the damage would be a good start.

18. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

well they estimated the truck at 10000 and gave me the max insurance of 8000 so that would mean 2000 for my truck i think not!! lol here are the pics of the truck with the dents and on the same webshots there are pics before. I was actually thinking of asking maybe around 6000 for it it only has 78 0r 75000 miles on it and i got 2 sets of tires for it and 3 spares.

19. kennyw

Well, I did say it was a start. Looks like the damage was all cosmetic. But every single piece of sheet metal is damaged. Thus the maximum payout, basically totaled as far as the insurace was concered. Personally I wouldnt pay over $4000-4500 for it if I needed it for something but I am cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif The meathod I mentioned would probably apply better to a wrecked car/truck more than one vandalized like yours.

20. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

yea i am cheap too, i as hoping if i traded him i could get enough money out of him to buy a gooseneck trailer /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif