Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How/where to place an electric fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Jan 5, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

after taking a look at where to put an elec. Holley fuel pump, i got a few questions for anyone who runs one:

Do you place them in the frame rails? Will the survive under the truck (eg. going through mud, trails, etc.) ?

How to plumb them. I don't want to have to run new line all the way up to the engine compartment. Can i splice into the metal line and run a small section of rubber hose?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

yeah, i nthe frame rails is a good place...the fuel filter is there and they seem to do ok.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run the holley pump and I put in the frame rails about where the transfer case is. There is a gap there wear the lines go to rubber for a short distance. I tied it there along with the fuel filter. I then ran high pressure rubber hose up the back of the engine mounted to the body to the TBI unit. I then removed all of the extra gas lines. It has survived many mud races, bogs, snow and Moab without a peep.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I mounted my fuel pump inside the frame rail, on the passenger side, right above the bump stop for the rear axle. It's tucked way up out of the way there. It's mounted on a custom bracket, which is bolted to the frame using rubber isolators to keep things quiet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

I mounted mine outside the frame just in front of the tank on the left side (because of the Vortec fuel rail setup). I still need to put a protector plate on it to prevent damage.

However, my big problem has been that I have been trying to siphon to far... 4 fuel pumps later I have added in tank pumps to push the fuel to the high pressure pump. Haven't proven it out yet because of lifter/cam problems now (wondering where it ends). The closer to the tank the better. And the lower the better (for the fuel pumping, not the offroad clearance!)

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

It may sound goofy however I have heard of people mounting them inside a tupper ware thing on the frame. Water proof it and it has easy resealble access. I may just try this some day.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mount it in the frame rail as close to the tank as possible. Electric pumps are designed to push not suck.

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Got your PM. I'll post some pics here this afternoon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

That's exactly where I hung the Sub's marine app. water separating fuel filter (truck goes to Baja). For rock deflector I bolted a piece of 3/16"x1x1 angle to the bottom of the frame and then bolted two layers of antifreeze bottle btwn a sandwiching piece of strap. I had to extend the hoses from the top of the tank, but they needed replacing anyway, and slightly re-align the metal tube.

Those little A/C condensor rubber mounts work great for rubber isolating noisey stuff like electric fuel pumps. If this isn't for a computer controled application consider an oil pressure kill switch. GM used one in Vega's that only needs about 5 psi to stay running. I wired my old boss' Sub with one. Pulled power, thru a fuse, off the stud on the firewall to the switch. Pulled a start mode wire from the starter to the start by-pass terminal on the switch, and ran a wire to the pump. If you have oil pressure or are cranking it over the pump runs. Ken's would usually run for about 10-20 seconds after shut down.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status