Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How wide is your radiator?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rich, Aug 10, 2004.

1. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

In my quest to figure out why I could not find a new 4-core radiator to fit my 1990 6.2L Burb http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1157518/page/1/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1, I want to see what everyone's radiator measures, to see if it's different than mine.

If you have a chance, please post up your year model, # of cores, length (measured between the tanks) and height of core, and whether you have the oil cooler and trans cooler built into the radiator.

My stuff:
    1990 1/2-ton 4x4 Suburban 6.2L
    stock was 3-core, 34" wide core x 21" high, oil cooler and trans cooler in tanks

I am replacing with Modine radiator:
    high efficiency fin design (twice the number of fins per inch), wider core (only two rows of tubes, but 2" thick core as compared to the stock 1.5" thick 3-core)
    34" wide core x 21" high, no built-in oil and trans coolers (will run external ones)

Thanks!
    Richard

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I bought a 4 core for my 80 K5 from Radiator.com ( they give a K5 discount) It measures 35 x 3.5 x 21
    It's manual trans so notrans cooling but I think they use the same radiator cause I can see where they would be if it was tapped. I think I paid $124 shipped next day for it

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

34" wide
    21" high
    4 cores

Tranny cooler on drivers side
    Oil cooler on passenger side

Came from an 83 C30, 6.2 TH400 with 4.10's.

Rene

4. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Sounds like I really got screwed. I still can't figure out why neither Radiator.com or the local radiator shop could figure this out. They both swore that they could only get a 34" wide radiator in a 3-core, and both priced it like $350. The local radiator guy said he USED to be able to get a 34" 4-core, but that listing has been discontinued.

Oh well, it's too late for me (new radiator already partially installed), but hopefully this post might help someone else who doesn't know. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

My radiator core actually measures 34.5" wide, 20.5" tall, and is 2.25" thick. Tranny cooler on driver's side, engine oil cooler on passenger's side.

I don't remember what my radiator came out of. Been many years since I bought it used. It has been to the rad shop a couple of times...last time a couple of years ago it was rodded out and the seams re-soldered. Don't remember how much it cost me.

Never had to buy a new one.

Casey