Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How would 373's do with 36" tires ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How would 373\'s do with 36\" tires ??

The 3/4 ton axles I have, have 373 gears in them. I was planning on 38" Ground Hawg tires, and regearing, but if 36" Ground Hawg's and 373's will work, I just might do that for now. What do y'all think, will the 373's work with 36's ??? Remember, daily driver that see's trails, but not a major rock crawler.

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: How would 373\'s do with 36\" tires ??

<font color="blue">Your auto trans will take a sh*t, and it will be a slug around town. I ran 36s with 4.10s and it was tollerable.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

With all the recent discussions on gearing, ya can't be serious??????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

By the way, 3.73 with 36" will suck major a**!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

You have an auto right? With a stick, it wouldnt be too bad!

5. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

something must be wrong with my truck /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. i am running 3:73's with true 35's , and i am not saying its
    a freaking race car, but its in no way a slug. i mean its got pretty quick off the line throttle. and i cruise the highway to and from work doing 70-75 mph with a couple
    co-workers. i can feel it kinda bogg when i get to a real steepp incline, but nothing as bad as you would think. i
    will be changing to 4:10s when i install my 3/4 ton , but
    for now i am happy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    With all the recent discussions on gearing, ya can't be serious??????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

By the way, 3.73 with 36" will suck major a**!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ] I've seen topic about 308's and 33, but not 373's and 36's. I really don't want too regear right away if I can put it off for a couple of years. If I do have too regear, then I'll go ahead and skip the 36's and get the 38's. My biggest concern is being able too hold 75mph on the big road without over reving the motor, and being able too run the trails. I don't mind having to use 4-Lo more often when off road, if it means I can go 75mph in high-range. [ QUOTE ]
    1976 K5 Blazer / 400cid small block / Th350 automadic transmission with NP-203 transfer case.

[/ QUOTE ]

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yea it'll suck. it really sucked on my suburban. i have 4.10s now and its better but not good.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

There have been several drawn out discussions over the last few months on gearing.............

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    There have been several drawn out discussions over the last few months on gearing.............

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
    I've seen topic about 308's and 33, but not 373's and 36's.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Z3PR doesnt have overdrive which makes a big difference since he wants to run highway speeds.

The gears will be farther apart and you wont win any drag races, but I think you will like it on the highway. If you only do a little highway driving it will suck.

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

My 3.73's and 32" tires netted me about 2500 RPM at 65 mph. I overbuilt the 400 for this combo, and I hated it.

With those gears and tires, you had better have the power of a big block to pull them. It would work if you putz around like grandpa, but if you expect to have any snap, then go with the lower gears.

Determine where most of your driving will be done, and figure the combo for those conditions. Most of my driving is in-town, and I expect some snap when I mash the gas. If that gearing seems to spin the motor to high on the highway, then the answer is simple - SLOW DOWN!!!!

There are always compromises in any buildup, that's why we change what the factory built....

12. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

no it will not work at all with 36in tires you must have 4:56's or it wont even move /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    ok ok yes it will work and it will be the fastest thing on 4 wheels /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    come on you must be trying to get to buba arnt you? just admit it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    ok tires and gearing
    29-33's 3:73-4:10's
    34-36's 4:10-4:56's
    37-39.5's 4:56-4:88's
    and bigger than 39.5's 5:13's

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Gear post

Just remember that you don't have the same tranny, but this will give you a lot of good info........

14. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

When I swapped the 14FF in, I have had to settle with 3.73's and 39.5's because of money. I do agree it doesn't have as much "snap" as with the 4.56's but it is tolerable. I definitely don't need a big block to get my truck moving. My 350 gets me moving just fine, even with that tire/gearing combo. I ain't against low gearing but I think you'll be just fine with 3.73's and 36's and even 38's if you plan on a gear swap in the near future. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I plan on 5.13's in October.

15. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have 3.73's with 35's as my street tire and 37's as my trail tire...I think it hauls ass...but then again a 4-speed and a built 454 tend to do that... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The "3.73s and 35/36s" question has been asked at least 1000 times. With a TH350 I'd say you need 4.56s.
    Doesn't anybody search anymore?

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The "3.73s and 35/36s" question has been asked at least 1000 times. With a TH350 I'd say you need 4.56s.
    Doesn't anybody search anymore?

[/ QUOTE ] Did a search for "373's and 36's" and didn't find anything. Is it so hard for some people too answer other peoples questions without the "Do a search" reply ??? Sh*t, I'm sure everything has beed covered befor, might aswell remove the "POST" tab and just have everybody do searches. I'm not aiming this reply at you, but EVERYBODY who's first reply is "Do a search". /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Did a search for "373's and 36's" and didn't find anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Broaden your search parameters..........Ya just have to look in places where you don't expect the info to be hiding, and sometimes it's right there in front of ya.

I imagine some people are the same way. If a question has been answered a year ago or longer, then I can see someone missing it. But when it was covered within the last month (like your question), then you may understand some of the responses you get.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

I imagine some people are the same way. If a question has been answered a year ago or longer, then I can see someone missing it. But when it was covered within the last month (like your question), then you may understand some of the responses you get.

[/ QUOTE ] It isn't just about my question(s), I've seen the "Do a search" reply so meny times to quite a few people regaurdless if it was a recently covered topic or not.

20. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I have 4:88 gears and 36 tsl. Lets just say I can reach 4,000 RPM on the hwy if I wanted to push the motor. Driving back from CoosBay I was at a between 3,000 to 3,500 rpm. I need to go 38.5 or maybe 39.5.