Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How would this set-up be?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 19, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, for the Jimmy my plans are (in the next few years when I save up enough) (I'm young so money don't come too easy) I have planned:
    Interco 35" SSR's mounted on rockcrawler black rims
    4" Tuff country front lift springs
    4" ORD shackle flip
    /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    detroit or some kind of locker in the rear
    front winch bumper from 4x4iron or some place else
    MM 12,000 winch
    homemade rear bumper /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    ford shock towers
    ORD steering box/weld in frame kits
    doetsch shocks (sp?)
    better diff covers
    light duty rollcage
    stock 10B axles
    corbeau or other brand of racing seats
    and some other do-dads like lights and stereo stuff and whatnot /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I know I'll get some trouble for using 10 bolts. But this is going to be my DD and weekend wheeler until I have enough money for the blazer (alot /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) And I won't be wheeling it crazy in big mud bogs (thats what the blazer will be for) All I run is logging roads and trails with some creeks and lake expeditions too nothing to extravigant... If theres anything you suggest I change or consider, I'd be happy to know. I'm novice at stuff, so I am always learning /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay, for the Jimmy my plans are (in the next few years when I save up enough) (I'm young so money don't come too easy) I have planned:
    Interco 35" SSR's mounted on rockcrawler black rims
    4" Tuff country front lift springs
    4" ORD shackle flip
    /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    detroit or some kind of locker in the rear
    front winch bumper from 4x4iron or some place else
    MM 12,000 winch
    homemade rear bumper /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    ford shock towers
    ORD steering box/weld in frame kits
    doetsch shocks (sp?)
    better diff covers
    light duty rollcage
    stock 10B axles
    corbeau or other brand of racing seats
    and some other do-dads like lights and stereo stuff and whatnot /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I know I'll get some trouble for using 10 bolts. But this is going to be my DD and weekend wheeler until I have enough money for the blazer (alot /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) And I won't be wheeling it crazy in big mud bogs (thats what the blazer will be for) All I run is logging roads and trails with some creeks and lake expeditions too nothing to extravigant... If theres anything you suggest I change or consider, I'd be happy to know. I'm novice at stuff, so I am always learning /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks,
    Steve

[/ QUOTE ] I would upgrade your axles to atleast 3/4 till you can find a affordable D60. I bought my 3/4 ton axles for a whole whoop $250.00 . /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So for 3/4 ton, 12 bolts or what are 3/4 ton axles?? I wont beable to get a D60 for very cheap so it will be my last upgrade...

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

10 bolt 8 lug front, 14 bolt semi float or full floating rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

3/4 ton would be a 14bff or 14bsf, (might as well get the FF though) and an 8 lug 10bolt or 8 lug Dana 44. We just put a 3/4 ton 10 bolt in a friend's K5 and its really easy!

Good Luck!

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If your gonna make your rear might as well make the front one too and save yourself 800 clams or whatever a 4x4iron bumper costs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would use the money you want to spend on Corbeau seats and buy a 14 rear if you want to run a Detroit and do a 8 lug conversion on the 10. You'll still have money left over to buy some comfortable full-suspension seats if you like.

Also a set of Warn Premium hubs and a cheapo CB won't hurt either... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What kind of suspension seats? Why does converting the axles to 8 lug make them 3/4 ton instead of 1/2 with 8 lugs? Am I missing something. I would make a front bumper but it's not as simple as a rear one /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif But I am still considering it. Oh, and I already have some kind of warn hubs in now, should I still upgrade? Thanks for the replies

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't let everyone scare you about 1/2 ton axles. they are not great by any means but they can be ok. If you take care of them maintainence wise and know there limitations then they can survive. 1/2 ton fronts can do just fine with 35's. Maintainence is the key.

You will break a half ton axleshaft if you wheel it hard enough for long enough. No doubt but if you carry spares and the right tools you can always change it.

There are guys here in Arizona wheeling the piss out of 1/2 tons. They do break axles and they know they will so they are prepared so it is no big deal.

If you are going to regear or add a locker to your rear axle then I would say definitly go 3/4 ton. Getting a 14bff and adding new gear and a locker is as cheap or cheaper then doing it to a 1/2 ton rear. Don't ever rebuild a 1/2 ton rear, but if you got it then I say run it till you break it.

If it is a light trail truck then you can probably survive with the 1/2 tons until you can afford the 3/4 ton or 1 ton swap.

Harley

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What kind of suspension seats? Why does converting the axles to 8 lug make them 3/4 ton instead of 1/2 with 8 lugs? Am I missing something. I would make a front bumper but it's not as simple as a rear one /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif But I am still considering it. Oh, and I already have some kind of warn hubs in now, should I still upgrade? Thanks for the replies

[/ QUOTE ] The front is still a 1/2 ton axle with 8 lugs, but the rear axle 14 bolt FF is a 1 ton axle. The combo makes 3/4 ton axles. I recomend this becouse you'll already have the 8 lug rims when you do get that D60 that most of us want. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm in between on this axle deal. I'd probably run the 1/2 ton stuff till I broke it 2 or 3 times (while carrying spares from all the guys swapping to 3/4 ton) then I'd get on the bandwagon and do the swap too. I can't really speak too much though since I never wheeled with a 10 bolt rear (they all broke on the road with stock tires /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) I got my first set of 3/4 tons for $650 with 4.88's and a detroit in the rear, then I got my 1 ton's for $400, unfortunately they're both open and have 3.73's. Save your beans, you'll be needing them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, thanks for all the replies. For the future, where can I purchase the 8 lug conversion? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1/2 ton and 3/4 ton fronts are the same.
    8 lug conversion...

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay thanks... now all I need to do is save /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif