Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How would you build it???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b454rat, Aug 17, 2006.

1. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here's what I'm gonna get, 1990 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab dually 4wd, TBI454, TH400/205, Dana 60 front Dana 70 rear with 3.73. Body of the truck isn't too bad, but now worried about body stuff. There is no box on the truck, it has a flatbed on it. What I want to do is sell the axles, swap the trans for a stick, put a short box on it, and give it a small lift. This isn't gonna be a wheeler, mostly a headhauler, but occasionally towing/hauling something or other. My first thought was to put 1/2 axles in it with 3.08s in it. But I found a Dana 60 or 61 rear with 3.31s in it, so would have to go 8 lug up front. But then was thinking of keeping it a dually and putting some Buckshots on it or some other tall skinny. But then it starts to get out of hand, and then I just want to keep it simple and put the 1/2 tons in it. I have 3 sets of 8 lug rims, to sets of 35s, one for 16s and one for 16.5s. Either way a crew cab short box will look sweet, 33s or 35s. 8 lug or 6 lug????

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Why go to 1/2 ton?

3. b454rat

I don't need a 1 ton or anything super heavy duty anymore. We dont' really go anywhere anymore, so dont' really see the need for one. Plus it's hard to find a 8 lug set of axles with numerically low gears in them, gonna try to get somewhat decent mileage out of this thing. I'm thinking going with 8 lug, I think I have a line on a set of 589s for the 35s that I have. I alreay have a 4" lift, so I almost have all I need. Just looking for some ideas or opinions.

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

SAS the '97! ;)

5. b454rat

Yeah while I would love to do that to the 97, I need to get rid of a car payment. I actually thought about getting an IFS lift for it, I replaced a crapload of parts up front, just to take off if I do the SAS. I've had the truck for almost 5 years, and getting the urge to get something else. I haven't had much like in selling it, so guess should start to get used to it again.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

From experience you cant do small things. It only keeps going.

The dana 60 or 61 rear.....Would you still have 4wd? Then you would have to match the front gears....

7. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt swap axles. I think 1/2 might break with the extra weight off all the one ton stuff. When I get older, I want to do a crew cab short box truck. They are SAWEET!

8. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Quit telling him not to swap the axles... I need 1 ton running gear and would gladly trade him my 10bolts with 3.08s. :haha:

9. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

ok you want the axles. fine.

toss them off, throw on a 10bolt or dana 44 and 14 bolt ff with 4.10s. run your 35s with a 4 or 6 inch lift. shorten the frame and toss on a shortbox. fix the rust, paint it and through in a cd player. Done

you have a 454 and an auto tranny with no overdrive. f'ing forget about getting any gas mileage. you'll be lucky to see 10mpg.

i don't see how you want to run 10 bolts w/ 3.08s and 35s that won't work. run one or the other.

10. b454rat

At first I didn't want to run 35s, but seeing how I have two sets of them, might as well put them to use. After thinking about that, I wouldn't need 3.08s, could run the 3.73s with the 35s, that way I could cruise on the highway doing 70 at about 2300 RPMS, give or take. Since I don't plan on wheeling this at all, the 1 ton stuff would be overkill, and besides, I can sell them and get the money back that I bought the truck for. And for A ten bolt or 44 not holding up to the weight of the truck?? What did GM use in their crew cab 4wds with 454s before the 60 came out?? OK, so it was an HD44, not that much difference. I think I'm gonna go with a 44 front, not sure on the HD part, and a Dana 60 rear. I have a set of 3.73 for a 60 that was in the front of my 89, as long as they are good, gonna use those.