Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How2 remove balancer & crank from 350 sbc?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Joe Kitzmiller, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Joe Kitzmiller

Joe Kitzmiller Registered Member

Building my first engine ever for my 73 k5 project. Have removed the heads, oil pan, and carb manifold. How do you remove the balancer and crank from my 4 bolt main? It seems like the balancer needs to come off first because of the metal bracket attached to the timing cover, which sealed against the oil pan is keeping it in. It seems easy enough but dont know the tricks of the trade. Is there anything I should be aware of that a "green" mechanic should be aware of? I want to get the block striped so it can get dipped, fluxed and honned as long as their are no cracks in the block. thanks guys.... Joe

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

special puller needed. go to the zone and rent the tool. and need a instaler to put back on. and if your this far torn down check the hole thing, money now is better than money wasted later.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

And while you're there renting the puller, buy a manual too! This site is brilliant for info and no one minds helping out but when you need it in a hurry or need diagrams (like for head bolt sequence), the manual is a real handy.:grin:

4. Joe Kitzmiller

Joe Kitzmiller Registered Member

thanks

thanks guys. Coloradok5 has been very big help with getting the 73 k5 project moving.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

stop what you're doing, and buy a few books on the subject. no offense intended, but if you're asking questions like this, you're REALLY gonna f#%& something up. educate yourself a bit on the subject, and you should be good to go.