Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

howcome ppl dont see that steel lines are easy and cheap to make ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Oct 16, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

am i missing something ? i cant help it- im really curious
    i keep seeing posts that ppl post about how they cant find a line for tranny cooler or for brakes,

this is crazy,

they are SIMPLE to make

only takes a few minutes to flare and bend one up and install it,
    you can buy pre-flared lines for a few bucks at basically any parts store, 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" etc.

is it because ppl dont think, or dont realize, or what ?

overall thought: ppl who buy prebent steel lines are stupid and deserve to pay a bunch of dough for something they can easily make for very cheap /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: howcome ppl dont understand that steel lines are easy to make ?

most peeps dont have a tubing bender or whatever. right now I have a hardline I wanna cut/flare, but I dont have a flaring thing and dont really wanna buy another tool if I dont have to. is there a redneck way to reliably flare these hoses?

j

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

flaring kit is free rental at autozone, tubing cutter are cheap and pay for themselves first time you get into a line jam
    i own several small cutters, i find them at hardware stores, the small red cutters,a re about 5 bucks a piece, sometimes less and very reliable, ive abused mine and htey cut tubing just like new still.

flaring kit is up to 25 now i think, it was 15 a few months ago, 25 is still good deal i think, if you do drivetrain mods alot,.

the double flaring kit comes with 1/8" though around 7/16" adapters and everything, double flaring is whats used for fuel and tranny lines, two stages you go through to do a compelte double flare. is easy cake

4. jekbrown

meh, i deal with these lines so rarely that $25 aint worth it. Doubt I'd do the free rental either, prolly just take the line down there... its only 6" long. Eventually, I wont have any hardlines on my rig, they are annoying and inflexible, and I really dont see the point in keeping them.

j

5. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Wow I feel pretty little about right now.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I spent about $70 on a Snap On flaring tool kit years ago, time and time again it has proven to (easily) be worth twice that much. Having a such a tool can turn what seems to be a hopeless problem into a simple & quick repair.

I'd rank my flaring tool kit as valuable as my torque wrench.

7. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Harbor frieght sells flair kits for 10 bucks, well worth it, I just ruined a hard line for the rear brakes yesterday, wen't to auto zone and 6 bucks had a already flaired line, then just borrowd there rentable tube bender and bent it right there, toook 10 minutes to from buying it to leaving /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I have both tubing cutter's, and a flaring kit. These are relatively cheap, and easy to use. More than once the flaring tool saved me from sittin at home, waiting for a part's store to open. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also have on hand 3/16, 1/4, and 5/16, tubing hanging on the wall. It come's in roll's of however long you want it to be. 20', 25'. It too is cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got a $10 bender, a $40 DOUBLE-FLARE tool (you NEED that for brake lines - I don't think I read anybody mentioned that), and a $4 tubing cutter.
    I've used these tools a couple of times now and have to say that I'm glad I went that route. Although you can buy pieces of pre-flared brake line in about 6" length differences, it looks pretty dumb to have a brake line loop up and down and have a bunch of bends in it just to get it to be the perfect length.

I will never buy a pre-bent piece of hardline for my truck. (Although I do buy the pre-flared sizes because I can just cut off whatever length I don't need and they come with the little flare nuts already on them - don't need to buy them separately).

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I have done a lot of work with the pre flared lines and a tubing bender and I have to say I am just not good at it. Usually the lines are way too long but the next shorter size is too small. They wind up looking bad. So far my mantra for bending steel line is "ugly but functional".

11. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i have the tools....as far as the flare kit goes the craftsman flare tool really SUCKS!!!....it would not make a good enough double flare to keep brake fliud from leaking..... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif...so after i looked at the snap-on tool....110 buks /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif...thats not alot different than the craftsman one...i ended up finding an imperial-eastman set in my grandpas garage...that flare tool is sweet works like a champ every time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif..i have various lengths of tube in the garage and a bender, always make my own hoses now

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I never realized how easy it is to flare lines until I worked at an auto parts store and I had to show people how to do it right at the counter. There is just no excuse, rent the tool, it's $15 and you get a full refund!

13. jekbrown

like i said, for now I'll borrow the tool and try to scrape by... but eventually, Im just gonna remove all the hardlines. No need for them really. brake lines? fuel lines? power steering lines? none need to be hardlines so why deal with em?

j

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hardlines are more durable, resist vibration (WHEN CORRECTLY MOUNTED) better, and are generally lighter foot-for-foot than a flexline of the same length.
    A basic principle of aerospace hydraulics/pneumatics design is to use as few flexlines as possible, only in places that need the flexibility.

15. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    like i said, for now I'll borrow the tool and try to scrape by... but eventually, Im just gonna remove all the hardlines. No need for them really. brake lines? fuel lines? power steering lines? none need to be hardlines so why deal with em?

j

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think you should reconsider... It would be really easy for the factory to manufacture trucks with all flexible lines but they go to the trouble of putting steel lines on essential systems for very specific reasons. Steel fuel lines running along your frame are way less likely to rip apart on a rock, tree limb or whatever. flexible brake lines bulge out just a little bit, which takes more fluid to fill the increased diameter, now thats no big deal with steel lines and just a couple of feet of flexible, but if your whole brake line system was made from flexible stuff it could have an effect on pedal travel, feel and braking ability. I don't know a single person who has tried this so I dont have any real world data, but it's something to consider. Steel lines are engineered on your truck for a specific reason and they aren't any trouble to fab up for someone who has been willing to give it a little practice and invest in a couple of cheap tools. Don't just decide that they are evil just because you don't have experience with them. Go get some steel lines and fix your truck right.

16. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well said...my thoughts exactly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. jekbrown

ok, i can agree on brake lines... but the ones on my power steering are more than 50% flex line already... from the factory. Hell, if a hydro-assist ram can use softlines (longer ones at that) then the short (1-1.5') from the pump to the steering box should be np. fuel lines I'd rather go flex line too... seems like if you are drilling/cutting/welding on your frame all the time, then the hardlines just get in the way. With soft ones, just move em temporarily and put em back when ur done.

j

18. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have all the stuff to bend and flare and all the fun stuff. BUT, what size line do I use? I have an 87 TBI that take meteric stuff, then back at the tank its standard? I have the flexable line in the rear that I can connect to for the tank but I also need the flexable front lines. So it not worth me trail and error buying stuff when SEVERAL people TRASH good parts /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. frank the tank

frank the tank Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    most peeps dont have a tubing bender or whatever. right now I have a hardline I wanna cut/flare, but I dont have a flaring thing and dont really wanna buy another tool if I dont have to. is there a redneck way to reliably flare these hoses?

j

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I was taught when younger, is there is never really such a thing as to many tools, only that you never own enough tools. You might think that "Hey I will only use it once so why should I buy it?", but in fact once you buy the right tool for the job, you will use it again, escpecially when it comes to offroading /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

But you don't NEED to buy it. You can rent it for free.