Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Howdy, new here (pics of my truck)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RampageFSJ, Aug 18, 2005.

1. RampageFSJ

RampageFSJ 1/2 ton status

Howdy, like the title says, I`m new here :bow: . Don`t know if my truck counts to be here because it is a Full Size Jeep :truck: . But if it helps any, I`m putting in GM tranny, T case, rear axle and a Dodge front in it. And have far future plans for a BBC 454 Vortec engine. So I hope I`m accepted and I`ll post some pics of what used to be a stock J truck until I got my hands on it and then,
    :weld:

:grind:

:hack:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/RampageFSJ/100_0651.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/RampageFSJ/100_0652.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/RampageFSJ/100_0653.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/RampageFSJ/100_0654.jpg
    My 1973 Jeep J 4000 with an AMC 360, Th400, Quadra trac till I can put in a 205, D60 front, 14 bolt rear, and 39.5 inch swampers was born :saweet: :woot: . Obviously, it ain`t done yet. But I hope to get it driving on it`s own soon. I hope you will accept me and Rampage among you. And go ahead and say what you want about my truck, I`m always open to any comments/suggestions.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

sound like it will have the gm heartbeat. thats good for my vote. and i love those old body jeeps. looks sweet.:wink1:

3. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I like those ols FSJs. Even though this place is predominately GM a lot of us own or have owned other stuff, myself included.
    The tech here is primarily GM oriented but thats only part of the reason for coming here. The other part is the helpful friendly and decent atmosphere that you get here.
    Not to mention a lot of tech is universal considering everyone can use a dana 60 . I hope you decide to stick around and contribute. I would love to see how your truck turned out.

See ya.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've only ever had GMs but I like the FSJs. My buddy is an FSJ fan, he is on IFSJA as Cow Killer, and under the same name here.

5. RampageFSJ

I`m on IFSJA a lot too. Go under the same name there. Glad I wasn`t booted out for not being GM :whistle: :woot: .
    BTW I equally like all brands of REAL trucks (1/2 tons and up) until proven differently to me :waytogo: .

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In my opinion, everybody is welcome. Hope we can help answer any questions you may have. Pretty friendly group of people here on CK5. Lot of info on almost everything.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

8. RampageFSJ

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thats feakin awesome, I want that sitcker. :haha: :haha: :haha:

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I kinda always like those old J trucks. Looks good.

OH, almost forgot, Welcome!

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I replied to your post in the ORD forum. Made a comment that my sister used to live in Ulysses.

I've always liked the J-10's and 20's. Just never liked the front axles being on top of the leaf springs from the factory. Sat too low, IMO. A friend had a J-10 and installed a 4" Skyjacker system and the dang thing still sat like a bone stock GM truck with no lift. :haha: Then later we found another J-10 out of town that had a 10 bolt swapped in it from a GM and the thing was HUGE.....much like yours. :bow:

My big question about the J-series trucks is the rear springs and how wide a width they are mounted: can you fit say, a 14FF under there without the rear springs hitting the drum plates? Or did you use a stock Jeep Dana 60 rear? Inquiring minds want to know! :waytogo:

12. RampageFSJ

What I did was I got me a 14 bolt to put in there and I measured how far the stock rear springs were apart and noticed that the springs would hit the drums :doah: . No problem :weld: , I measured how wide the frame was and it was the exact width that the spring perches on the 14 bolt were :woot: . Soooo, after some minor fabrication removing the old post mounts and moving the mounts under the frame and boxing most of the frame, I had the amount of lift that you see there :saweet: . I`m using the 3/4 ton Chevy rear leafs and custom shackles. I`ll get some bed off pics up later :wink1: .

13. thatK30guy

Cool beans! :waytogo: That makes sense now. My friend was scratching his head deciding what to do about the rear. He stuck with the stock J-10 Dana 44's and left them alone. I need to tell him about what you did and maybe convince him to do a spring-over swap. :deal: :thinking:

14. RampageFSJ

Spring over with stock front springs on these trucks are about the best way to lift them on the front :grin: . And to compensate on the rear, TT`s fabworks on IFSJA.org (perfect site for all of your FSJ needs :thumb: ) sells a shackle flip kit for the FSJ`s that give`s it about 7-8 inches of lift from what I`ve heard. And to make the front even easier, all you have to do is swap in about any GM style front axle ( as long as it is a 74 and later rig then the D44 and D60 are best choices) and hook it up with crossover steering. Something else you can do is use the origional rear suspension with the said shackle flip and I`ve heard somewhere (don`t quote me on this :dunno: ) is that the wider 14 bolt rears under Chevy vans are direct rear swaps. Then you can use a Dodge D60 front (little narrower than Chevy) and put dually hubs on it and the axles should be the same width. Like I said, don`t hold me to that, I heard it somewhere.

15. RampageFSJ

16. thatK30guy

You gotta register as a paying member to be able to reply to all forums here. Shell out the $25 and you will be able to enjoy sending, receiving, replying and answering ALL forums and PM's, too. :waytogo:

17. sweetk30

worth every penny of 25 bucks. and pics can post easyer. so we can all see them better. this is the best site i have seen for info and all around friends and family.

18. RampageFSJ

Well, there`s the problem for me. I`m only 16 and have no accounts on the computer to pay with :( . Oh well, I`ll get by :tongue1: .

19. sweetk30

16 old???????? how do you pay for your toy parts ??????? them some nice new tires and wheels.

oh well good luck . you should have not posted those pics . now i want one to add to my colection:D

20. RampageFSJ

I work for the mafia :eek: :ignore: ! Naw, I work 3 jobs :yikes: . It ain`t too bad though, I planned my build so that so far, It`s costing only about $1,000 total to get it drivable. Here`s a parts list for ya.
    truck: project condition (screwy 401, rebuilt tranny) $100 X mas present soo: Free
    AMC 360 in great running order from a free parts truck and a spare tranny: Free
    39.5 inch swampers, 70% tread:$400
    15x10 8 lug white wagon wheels from Summit: $140 (I think)
    14 bolt rear:$100
    Dodge D60 front:$400
    Total to get it rolling under it`s own power:$1,040

Maybe $700 more for gears, rear spool, and T case swap and it would be almost unstoppable. Then after I get those, I`ll invest in 5 NEW 38.5x15x15 Boggers and lots of tubing for protection and rollcage and a front locker.