Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Howell F.I. Problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Depdog, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Does anybody eles use Howell?

Problem I am having is that when I go to crank it, it turns over the starter fine, and shows 10.8 volts during cranking, but it wont fire the F.I. If I hook another vehicle up like a jump start, it still does not crank, if I fire the other vehicle up while hooked up in a jump start it will crank right up.

Guys at Howell say it either a bad battery or a bad starter. I have not had the starter tested, but it turns over just fine has no drag, makes no noise or anything. Battery turns over the motor for a prettey good bit before getting run down. It has 880 cranking amps and 770 cold cranking amps.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks
    Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I really have no idea what your problem is, and I'm sure you have already though of this; but I figured I would mention it anyway...red top optima?

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Is is possible that your wire on the ignition side of the solenoid is loose and giving enough resistance that it will not power the EFI

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. Depdog

Nope, checked and re checked all the wiring, according to Howell, its going to be the battery that is bad or maybe the starter, they say something is putting a draw on the battery when I am cranking keeping 12 volts from getting to the F.I.

He said to pull all his F.I. wires and then try to crank it, I will see the same drop in voltage because the F.I. is not pulling hardly any.

Gonna do some more checking tomorrow I guess.

Depdog

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

5. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Where are you getting the power wire from? ( that would be to power the the ECM). Are you getting it from the fuse box or somewhere else?

Donovan
    Nitro Fumes makes me Horrrrny

6. Depdog

From the fuse box, I also checked the power to it and from it normally and under load. It does not drop dramatically, it is within 1 tenth of a volt of the battery on in both situations.

Depdog

7. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Did you check the power to the computer while you was cracking the engine? My brother had a similar problem as yours. What the problem is when cranking the fuse box drops below the starting volts of the computer, sometimes there is no volts to the fuse box while cracking. What my brother did is to run the computer off of the wiring harness on the steering column. There is 2 large red wires in the wiring loom. One wire is 12 volts hot all the time and the other is 12 volt on with the key switch. You need to go to the 12 volt that is turned on and off by the key. I am pretty sure that is the problem but don't get your hopes up.

Donovan
    Nitro Fumes makes me Horrrrny

8. Depdog

Yes, checked that. Even rean a jumper wire straight to the battery, does the same thing.

Thanks
    Depdog

9. iceman

iceman 1/2 ton status

Do a hydrometer test on the individual cells of the battery if you can. Voltage and amperage are not directly proportional, you could have a dead cell causing the battery to read only 10+ volts under load but still put out the ruoghly 250 cca you need to turn over the starter. Try a different battery and see what happens. I worked 2 years at Optima Battery. Iceman

10. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Your starter may be pulling to many amps also. I found a while back I thought my battery was going south, but it was my starter. It took a jump to get it going. One to many trips through water had filled it with rust flakes [​IMG]. Needless to say I did'nt rebuild that starter. Good luck and let us know how it works when you get the gremlins worked out.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Depdog....i bought the emissions version of the Howell TBI harness and there 2 pulse VSS. Everything else was scrounged out of the junkyards except the dist pick-up and charcoal can bracket...using a bone stock 88 K5 7747 ecm.

The only problems i had were....
    1) Running to lean...cracked both my manifolds...installed two used 91 K5 manifolds...removed top part of tbi and adjusted UP the fuel pressure ...block learn and integrator are within 2 points of each other...and since i am using an older crate motor the timing was advanced to about 12 degree's adv...diff in cam profiles etc. as the stock 88 motor sets timing at 0 and the puter takes over from there.

2)Adjusting the throtlle blades air gap...couldn't get the darn thing to idle below a grand...so i ended up taking it to my friends specialty shop and he hooked up an IAC tester...and manually operated the IAC...then we drilled out the soft plug that hides the adj screw for the throttle...and with the key off adjusted the screw one time...and know she idles at 700 rpm and 500 rpm in gear...also you can remove your TPS and gently hog out the mounting screw holes and adjust the TPS to no more than .75v...this gives quicker throttle response.

I know this is off base from your question but i want others to learn from my experience in the swap because i went from 5-6 mpg in town to 10 mpg....and i have not yet takin her out on a long trip to see how much higher the mpg goes on a long haul!

No about your problem...KISS...no offense but my Warrant Officer taught me this in the army so lets start from scratch ) Keep It Simple Stupid). Load test the batter...load the battery to one half the CCA rating and see if it not only holds the load above 9.6v....but also holds the amps...volts are no good without the amps. Checker Auto...aka Shucks..aka Kragen...have a hand held batt tester we use at the shop...at about 2k a copy...let them test your battery...it will tell you if the batt is at fault. Is the altenator charging at 13v and above? Does the field wire have ample voltage? (IGN) My 79 allready had a 100A alt installed from a cadillac...all GM products with ECM's generally use one form or another of the 10SI...which is usually rated at 95 amps or more to run all the computer related issues...ie: 5V ref signals to sensors etc...

Get these basic things eliminated and then if the problem still persists i'll break out the Howell diagram they provided and we will go from there....one last question...is the CEL on?

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

12. Depdog

Thanks for all the tips, I think I got it licked, I had the battery load tested yesterday and I think it had a bad cell. Went from 12.5 volts and after about 20 seconds on loat it had 1.6 volts. Slapped in a new battery and it worked fine all day, when I had the most problems is after letting it sit overnight, so if it cranks this a.m. I think its licked.

I have the whole Howell system, TBI, Fuel Pump and all. Their TBI already had the plug you descrive removed so you can adjust idle as well as having the fuel pressure reg screw so you can adjust the pressure.

Thanks
    Depdog

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

AZ. Grab RobZilla. He has the same fuel millage issue you had with his TPI on his 72. Same deal. It's on a Crate engine. Ohhh btw I may have a sneaky task for you to do. You game? It involves a little sneaking around in the dark, a truck, a cow bell and a pad lock [​IMG]

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

14. Depdog

Uh OH, I smell a PERMANET BLOOPER BELL!

Doh, watch yer back ROB.

Depdog

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Heck he doesn't log on here. One of the guys was supose to WELD one on but they picked up the trucks 2 day's early.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

16. Depdog

Well, it gave me a ration of crap, I did knock off one of the injector plugs and did not know it (did it this a.m. while changing the air filter) It turned over fast but would not crank. I then pulled and moved my ground wire to another location, from the engine to the frame. It did fire up and this was after having the doors open all day and the dome light on. Heard the aweful whistling in the throttle body and pulled the air cleaner to find the plug off. Put it on, noise stopped and I cut it off. Fired right back up. Gonna test it some more tomorrow after letting it sit all night again.

Thanks again for all the help people.

Depdog

17. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I routed the harness thru the firewall just like the late models...scarfed up a grommet from a harness still attached to an 88 burb in the boneyard...mounted the ecm and all on the glove box door after trimming some plastic. Glad to here you got her goin...wish i would have done it years ago...1 down chalet to go!

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet

18. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Why sure my old amigo...need to kick him in the ass anyways for borrowing my trans-xfer removal tool and after 3 months he still has it without a peep out of him....grrrr. So i guess you could say i'm game....hehehehe.

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet

19. Depdog

Re: Howell F.I. Problems UPDATED

Well, the battery was bad, put in a new one. Same crap this a.m. would not crank, check the voltage at the battery and it was 12.5 unloaded and 11.6 under load while cranking. Checked the wire from the fuse block that supplies the computer power and it was only 12.0 unloaded and 10.6 or so loaded.

Took a piece of 12 guage wire and ran it straight from the battery to the computer power wire where it ties into the fuse block, fired right up. I tried this with the old battery and no dice. So, I have now ran 12 guage wire from the battery to a relay and the relay trips and send power to the f.i. computer, we will see how it does in the a.m.

If this does not cure it, I can only replace the starter and am at a total dead end from there.

Depdog

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Howell F.I. Problems UPDATED

Dep, have you talked to Howell about this? Sounds like the ECM could be bad. I don't have a manual to look at right now, but a hazy corner of my brain seems to recall that there's a signal to the computer that will shut down the engine if the voltage being detected is too low.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...