Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Howell Multiport system- opinion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Nov 10, 2004.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Just got off the phone with Howell. I have a '90 K-5. About to rebuild the engine. Can get a multiport from Howell (750 CFM) for $1150. By far the best deal on a multiport I've found so far. What do you think?

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Multi port for $1150. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Are you sure its not the TBI system? If its their edelbrock or TPI sys for 1150 you are getting one hell of a deal.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Does that include the wiring harness, fuel pump, injectors, computer, chip or programming?

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Multi port for $1150. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Are you sure its not the TBI system? If its their edelbrock or TPI sys for 1150 you are getting one hell of a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I talked to them just last week about their 670cfm TBI kit and it was $1200. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I talked to them just last week about their 670cfm TBI kit and it was $1200. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The 670CFM TBI kit is $395. BUT you have to buy the $200 chip AND you will need a bigger manifold b/c the stock just doesn't flow well. I figure by the time I do all that I'm up to around $800. Their Multi port system flows 750 CFM (same throttle body as their TBI unit but w/out the injectors it flows 750 instead of 670)and does cost $1150. The only additional part you need is a fuel pump which, according to the guy I talked to, is the same pump that GM used on the early 90's Camaro. The GM p/n for that pump is 2511G163. I appreciate your input. Causes me to go back and double check. In my opinion the extra $300 bucks to get the multiport over the TBI is well worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

The 670CFM TBI kit is $395. BUT you have to buy the $200 chip AND you will need a bigger manifold b/c the stock just doesn't flow well. I figure by the time I do all that I'm up to around $800. Their Multi port system flows 750 CFM (same throttle body as their TBI unit but w/out the injectors it flows 750 instead of 670)and does cost $1150. The only additional part you need is a fuel pump which, according to the guy I talked to, is the same pump that GM used on the early 90's Camaro. The GM p/n for that pump is 2511G163. I appreciate your input. Causes me to go back and double check. In my opinion the extra $300 bucks to get the multiport over the TBI is well worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The $395 is for the throttle body itself, no kit of any kind. In addition to the $200 chip you mentioned you would also need the harness, computer, sensors etc. which are items included in the $1200 kit.

After rereading your post I think the price you got is for the components it would take to convert your pre-existing TBI system (you said you had a 90 K5) to their multi-port set up. If you were to outright purchase their multi-port kit for a carb'd vehicle I bet it would be a lot more.

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Yes you are right. I apologize for not being clear on that. I think this is a "plug and play" system which uses existing wiring harness, etc. but with a new chip. I did not price Howell's Multiport system as would be needed for a carb. replacement with all wiring harnesses, etc. I agree the price probably would go up. www.howell-efi.com

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I guess the price on those is coming down. Summit sells Edelbrocks TBI to multiport conversion kit for $1019.95.(same as howells) Includes everything but the fuel pump. Not bad for a multiport system
    Might want to check this out.
    Go to http://store.summitracing.com enter part # EDL-3501