Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

howlin' off road rear shock mount.

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by muddysub, Aug 27, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Re: howlin\' off road rear shock mount.

Hey Sub when you cut your fenders, what tools did you use? Also what did you seal the exposed metals with? How long did the cutting take you total? How did you decide how much you were going to cut? If you have any more pictures of the process I would like to see them (I need detail!!!) Any help would be greatly apprecaited, thx

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: howlin\' off road rear shock mount.

LOL... we basically measured 3.5" back from the stock lip and taped it. i didn't wanna go all the way out and mess it up and have to remove more so i only cut off 2.5" to start off and liked it a lot. so we left it there. you have to be careful at the top of the fender to make the curve look right. i used a 4" die grinder to go through the outer layer and a swas-all to go through the inner layer. i used the die grinder to keep things under control, cuz it's easier to control than a saws-all. after we had the big pieces removed, we used files to dress up the edge. any imperfections were ground down with a 4" regular grinder (be careful with that) and files to clean up the edge. it took about 4hrs maybe a little more. i suggest you do it in the day light, we did it at night and had to come out the next morning and correct some imperfections. we just sprayed it with primer, we don't get any rust in vegas so we're not worried about that.