Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hows this for a suspension set up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jmd4x4, Apr 29, 2005.

1. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

First off I have a stock 81 k5 w/ 350/350/208 a 10b front a 12b rear. The truck will mainly be used for trail use only. I am building a flip shackle for the rear but I want to make it 5in instead of 4(for the saggy but problem). Does any one see any problems with making it bigger than 4in's? I will be adding skyjacker 2in lift springs to that. For the front I am thinking of putting 52in springs in the front and then when I get my dana 60 I will put 2in lift springs in place of the stock 52in front springs. So my question is how will the truck ride and flex w/ 2in lift springs front and rear? Or should I just get stock 6in lift springs for the front and not worry about converting the front to 52's? I am trying for about 6in of lift and 38's. I have a 14ff I am building for the rear, and I know I will need new brake lines shocks and drive shaft and other stuff. I did a lot of serching but did not find quite what I was looking for. Sorry this is so long.

later
    jmd

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I don't. People use dropped spring hangers etc all the time.

then I wouldn't bother with the extra 1"... since you won't have saggy butt anymore...

better than with 6" lift springs.. and not as good as 4" of lift (shackle flip + 52s in front). Depending on the terrain, it might be a "happy medium"... I dunno.

I'd just run stock 52s front and rear with the shackle flip and see how you like it. If it works for ya, no need to $pend the extra ca$h for the lift springs.

I have 5" and 39.5s... I think you could fit 38s with less if you are willing to fender trim. Less lift is almost always better, unless you are mud boggin or something. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with 6"/38s... it'd just be a lot cheaper and flexier to use stock springs for 4-5".

yep, there is a virtual avalanche of upgrades that follow most suspension mods... just the nature of the beast I guess. :)

np. I am gonna be posting my definitive 52" spring swap writeup very soon... if you have any questions about it, they will probably be answered.

j

3. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

Get that 14bolt and dana 60 in there before anything, for the lift ill let one of the more knowledgeble members answer so i dont advise you to do something you wont like.

and.............................WELCOME TO CK5! :saweet: :woot:

4. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

Jekbrown, Thanks for the info, but the only thing I think you missunderstood was, I was talking about doing 2in lift springs front and rear on top of the flip shackle and 52's in the front(that should give me 6in's). Thats what I was wanting to know how that would ride and flex.

speedyvision917 and.............................WELCOME TO CK5!

thanks for the welcome. I have found a dana 60 for $1000 and it has already been completly rebuilt, now I just need the $$$ to get it. I have been getting a lot of good info over the last couple of weeks, now its just down to what i want to do to the k5.

later
    jmd

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My truck has 4" TC front springs w/1" zero rate to get 4-5" total lift. The rear is 6" TC rears. They flex pretty well and are not bad riding at all.

In you situation I would do it like this.

4" BDS front springs w/1" zero rate add a leaf
    shackle flip rear with 56" rear springs or 6" rear springs.

A good wheeling buddy had BDS front springs and I think they are a little bit better then my TC's. That is why I recommend BDS. They are good springs with a good warranty.

My 6" rear springs are almost as flexy as stock 56" springs with a shackle flip and my 6" springs control axle wrap better.

I am personally not a huge fan of 52" front springs. There are to many con's and hidden costs with them to make them attractive to me. Front flex is not all it is cracked up to be alot of times. It is cool but I have never been hurt by my lack of front flex. I was told by a veteran wheeler that I should search for flex in the rear suspension and stay sane with the front suspension. I heeded the advice and now I am glad I did.

Harley