Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hows this for an inter cooler idea?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 86dieselburb, Jul 15, 2006.

1. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

After looking at the Snorkle Suburban thread I got the idea of using the snorkle to supply air for an inter-cooler. There seems like there would be room on the passenger side above the fender well were the snorkle pops into the engine bay to mount a small inter-cooler. It wouldn't be a very big inter-cooler, maybe something off a Jap car or Saab. To make it work efficiently some sort of shroud to force air directly onto the inter-cooler would be needed. Anybody think a jap car inter-cooler could cool enough to do anything?

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Probably too small to do any good. You'd have to make sure air was passing through it ALL the time though. If I get your idea correctly the intercooler would be where the aircleaner box is/was. Since most turbos are on the passenger side there will be more heat there. There will have to be enough air passing through to overcome the ambeint temp there (180+:confused:) AND cool the air inside the cooler. If not it will just be another source to heat the air:doah:

3. 86dieselburb

Makes sense, thanks.

4. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

Why don't you use a first gen dodge intercooler,you'll have to make tubes and some kind of a hat or air horn.

On Gm trucks 73-87 I use a first gen dodge intercooler on Cummins conversion.They will fit between the grill and coresupport.

Your not going to gain much with the 6.2.

5. 86dieselburb

More info, thanks. I'm still learning and gathering info on turboing these diesels. Didn't think about a 1st gen dodge IC, actually never would have thought there was enough room for one.

IC's also lower EGT's correct? Any extra added benefit is good in my book.

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

What are the dimensions of the first gen Dodge IC? Ideally I'd like to seperate the water, oil & trans coolers but that doesn't leave much room for an IC. I could use a 2 row aluminum water which run 2.5" to 3" thick instead of the 4 row stock but it still looks a little crammed & my fab skills are nil.