Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How's this for flex?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Sep 26, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Finally remembered to try this when I had the engine hoist out, chain it to the truck, since I have no forklift nor ramp :o

Front's are 52"s, with a conglomeration of leaves from two pairs, and homemade front mounts (before Kert was making them, grr!) and homemade long shackles.

Rears are the top five or so leaves from those monster 1-ton 56" ten leaf packs. ORD flip in back, and homebrew long shackles.

Doesn't look like it in the pix, but the front actually did better than the rear ... cleared 37" up front, and prolly had more to go. Rear got to 35" to the bottom of the tire 'fore something up front (shock, I think) limited it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-- A

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

looks pretty good to me

3. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

1. i like how you painted your springs blue.
    2. what made you choose "tank girl" for a license plate?

4. dremu

LOL ... originally I had them light, then medium, then dark blue, to match the truck ... but when I started adding and removing leaves it got too hard to keep them straight =))

Tankie is named after the Aussie comic, err, graphic novel... the other trucks were then named after the other characters. Yes, there was a movie with Lori Petty.

-- A

5. muddybuddy

i think u might be able to get a little more flex out of it, if your method wasnt so redneck :)

6. dremu

One uses what one has available. At least I didn't use duct tape!

One of these days when I am infinitely rich I'll build a ramp... there was also the worry that I might tip the thing onto my Amigo which is right beside it... :doah:

-- A

7. muddybuddy

haha i know, im just giving you a hard time...i cant wait to get my engine hoist this winter, ill be doing the same thing in the driveway....next time just put a tire on the amigo...ull get the rest of the flex out of it ;)

8. dremu

:eek1: Umm, no. I *like* the paint on the Amigo =)

Anyway, it occurs to me we'll see how Tankie does in Moab ... wow, in just two weeksish. BB06 here we come!!!!

-- A

9. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

Come wheeling up here and flex your sheit out!

[​IMG]

This is with stock 52s up front and lowered 63s out back with 7.5" shackles.

But your flex does look pretty good. I would get rid of the tire up top, that raises your CoG alot!

10. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

is it just me, or do you not have a driveshaft?? Or is that the black thing that is danglin' in the middle of the truck??

11. muddybuddy

yikes look at his rear axle....the pinion is pointing straight up!!!

12. dremu

Yeah... I'm building a bender 'soon as I'm back from BlazerBash, gonna do me one of those Dontoe-style stingers and finish up the cage.

Where d'y'all wheel up there in the cultural center of 707? State-run park or something?

-- A

13. PsychoticDeadGuy

I actually twisted my axle up and busted the 1350 u-joint. But it does work flexed out but not when u break stuff like i do.

We wheel up in Mix Canyon! Its private property un in the hills of Vacaville. The owner built all the trails himself. We have fun and I usually mess something up everytime i try Hell's Revenge, known to be a Jeep Only Trail. I am the only fullsize thats ever even attempted this trail.

14. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

do you have a mono leaf to the shackle? or are your overloads just bent up really high? it doesn't look like you have a driveshaft goign to the rear axle. other than that, SICK K5!. i like the angle of the rear cut, looks tough.:D

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Looks like the hoist is feeling the load in that first pic. Check the curve in the nearside leg.
    Yea, I know, it's e-loop-tic-al ozzion.......

Has anyone ever seen Roger Brown's method of checking flex? He uses car ramps and blocks on a level surface. Drive up, check, drive off, block them up alittle, drive on & check. Slower method, but it lets you easily see which end is doing more of the articulation work.

16. PsychoticDeadGuy

The straps that hold the leafs together was removed so I would get more droop. Its actually a custom 5 leaf pack made for a lowered truck. The driveshaft is hanging down, I twisted the axle up and busted the 1350 joint. I have since removed the leafs and went with 18" SAW Race Runner Air Shocks! Its a much nicer ride and my rig is light enough to only need 180 PSI. I have went to the dark side and have spent too much time over at Pirate4x4.com. I started at this board and soon moved to the cutting and hacking of my rig. It will be an all tube chassis with skins in the next year or so. I have had too many problems with the stock frame, its just too weak. I ripped my steering box off the frame last time I took the rig out. same place you see in the pic. If you or anyone else wants more pics of my rig then send me an email, psychoticdeadguy@hardcore4x4.com I dont want to hijack this thread too much.

17. PsychoticDeadGuy

Ok, well, I added a build up thread here on CK5, its under the title "Upon much Requests"

Sorry to hijack your thread.