Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How's this for TBI motor?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Jimmy, Jan 19, 2004.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

How\'s this for TBI motor?

VORTEC 330HP

NEW 5.7 LITER/350 CID ENGINE VORTEC (L31) HEADS, 1-PIECE SEAL
    ENGINE FEATURES:

100% New engine, 350 CID, 4-bolt mains,V-8, 1-piece rear main seal, nodular iron crank, forged rods, 9.1:1 cast pistons, hydraulic cam, 1.94" intake, 1.50" exhaust valve, oil pump, oil pan, RH dip stick, valve covers.

$ 2190

CAM SPEC'S FOR 330 HP ENGINE
    Duration @ .050" Lift Lobe Duration @ .050" Lift Lobe
    Int. Exh. Int. Exh. Centerline Int. Exh. Int. Exh. Centerline
    212 222 .435" .460" 112 212 222 .435" .460" 112

HEI distributor, H.O. high energy ignition $195

Vortec aluminum intake with TBI $300
    EGR pipe for Vortec/TBI intake $50
    Roller cam upgrade, Dur: 196/206, Lift:.431"/.451",L/C: 109 - $550

Serpentine belt system with air: AC comp, alt, p/s, H2O pump, bolts & brackets $650....Or will the belt system off an 89 work?

The 383 version is $3750, plus the cost of addl above ($1000)

This would be for a DD 89, built 700R/241/4:10/33's...headers, 2 1/2 duals

Thinking maybe tweaking the TB's a bit and it should run on the stock chip. Haven't researched the cost of Chip/Throttlebody upgrades/Problems associated with 383

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Re: How\'s this for TBI motor?

The 330hp ho crate engines are not compatable with the stock TBI chip. You really need to get a TBI compatable cam
    It may run with a stock chip if you get the roller cam set up. Except I am wonedering what that 109 number is. If it is lobe seperation it may be a little too low. The stock chip likes 112* ls. Depending on the grind you can go down to 110*. But that is pushing it. A Crane PowermaxHR-260-2-12 IG would be a much better cam choice.
    The other cam you posted has a little too much duration on the exhaust side for the stock chip if I am reading the numbers you posted right.
    I highly recomend getting a chip burned for either cam you listed. The 330hp vortec 350 ho engine is not designed to be run on a stock TBI set up.
    Also you will never get 330 hp out of the stock TB. you will have to up grade to a modified 454 TB/custom chip to get those HP numbers.
    If you want to run that engine or the 383. The links listed below make chips for them.
    http://www.fastchip.com
    http://www.turbocity.com/

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check for a recent post by dawson44. He was running that engine with the stock TBI and chip. He wasted the engine becuase it was running WAY too lean. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The factory stuff wasn't designed to supply nearly enough fuel for 330 HP. The folks at www.turbocity.com helped one of the mags put TBI on one of those a couple of years ago. Perhaps they can provide some info that would help make it work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

The roller cam you listed looks like the Ram Jet cam. Where are you getting the engine from? I haven't seen it that cheap. I am planning to do the exact same thing, but still trying to decide whether I want to start with a long block or short block.
    Your stock serpentine system should work fine.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with the fuel and air flow requirements you mentioned.

Even 454 injectors (80lb/hr) aren't quite enough for 330hp. They're only rated for 80% duty cycle. If you ran them at 100% then there is enough fuel there under acceleration through 5500rpm on a 383.

A SBC throttle body (1 11/16" bores) can be made to move 460-480cfm through blueprinting, porting, sticking a spacer under the injector pod, and using a short velocity stack. Crazy people will have them bored out and stick new butterflies in them. You really actually need a 454/2" bore throttle body to get the air required for a 383. However, I'm wondering if this will hurt a 383's off-idle throttle response.

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Engine is from www.goautocenter.com in Dallas...

I think tx85gmcguy got this engine, changed the cam, and forgot to do something to the springs which resulted in a very unhappy broken motor if I recall correctly...

I figured I would have to upgrade the injectors, but was unsure of the Chip, fuel pump, lines.

If I go to BB injectors, will I need to upgrade the Fuel Pump also?

I'd like to keep this thing fairly uncomplicated if possible...

One of the reason for not going 383 is the bigger torque and its effect over the long term on a 700R (built with JET kit)...Probably the hardest thing I do to a motor is run 2500-3000rpm (80-90 mph) on 10-18 hour road trips...Not many rocks where I live mostly mud (if it ever rains), and the occasional odd trip to North Padre Island (Deep Sand) or fire trails (which is harder on the tranny).

I don't need a super rumpity ring-a-ding race motor, but I'd like to have something with a bit more azz than this stock 210hp with 130K on it. It's still runnin' good, so I have time to shop around and get my ducks herded together.

Thanks for the opinions and input... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You could get away with a smaller cam for a DD IMO. It might not be QUITE as fun, but if you play around with the numbers, I think you'll see that a smaller cam will pump up TQ in the area that you'll use it alot (2000-3000RPM) and alleviate a few issues that result from the "wilder" cams.

As to EGR and what not, you have to add $300 to run it? (looking at whats listed lower) Just more expense that you can get away from if you can find a motor that uses different heads.