Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How's this look?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by big pappa b, Jan 12, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Just drove the blazer on the trailer for the first time. I'm sort of limited as to where I can attach to the trailer. I have 2 binders but they are really short and don't think I can attach tehm anywhere either. I have a few extra big straps. Right now there are 2 on each axle. I thought about running one to the frame, front and rear, but wanted some opinions. The shot from the back makes it look crooked but it's not. Pay no attention to the flat left rear trailer tire :ignore: I seem to have picked up a nail that will need to be patched...dammit

Img_0399.jpg

Img_0400.jpg

Img_0401.jpg

Img_0402.jpg

Img_0403.jpg

2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

My preference is to attach to the frame of the vehicle being towed if possible and then compress the springs a little as I tighten down the chains (or straps if that is what you are using). Some say it is best to go to the axles of the vehicle being towed though. I don't tow alot so I will let someone more knowledgeable say what is the best way.

I prefer to drop the chain through the attachment point you are using then bring the chain up and hook it on to that attachment point from the outside of it - hope that makes sense I can't find a pic on my computer to show you what I mean.

3. big pappa b

I know what you mean. I thought about it but didn't do it for some reason (dropping the chains thru)
    Like I said, I do have a few extra straps so I might go to the frame as well

4. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

Cross the straps. Attach the left side of the axle to the right side of the trailer. Other than that it looks good.....

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Dammit, those pics almost make me wanna cry...I welded those damn fenders on that trailer...I towed that friggin Suburban from KS to Chicago. Dammit...well hope you enjoy!:D

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

:(:(:( HEY! THATS MY BURB AND TRAILER!!! Oh wait... they're yours now. :(:(:( Anywho - DO drop the hooks thru the pockets before you drive, they are bound to pop around the side of the pocket and loosen the strap. Also, (being that I've driven that very setup before) I'd load the K5 farther up on the trailer to load the trailer a bit more level. It will cruise MUCH better when its sitting level. Finally, I towed my old K5 all over the midwest with the straps to the axle. Not that this is the best way to do it, but everything drove fine for me - no sway - no other problems either. You'll love the prodigy when you get it on the road... with the heavy K5 on there bump the boost to b.3 and then play with the variable slider to get it perfect. You should be able to feel the trailer brakes working for you! ;)

Glad to see its all being used again. I sure hope its all serving you well.

-Dan

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sweeeeeet!:cool1:

How long is that trailer?

8. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I think i would move the blazer up and the bike behind the blazer. after what I did and the outcome.... that would be my .02s

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Its an 18' with 2' dove.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I do mine about the same way, except I also cross the straps (strap hooked to left side of axle is attached to right side of trailer). I've never attached anything to the frame and had no problems after several thousand miles of towing my K5.

For the hooks that attach to the trailer, I would run them through the center of the stake pockets and then up and over the edge, actually hooking them on the top edge of the pocket. My trailer has d-rings on the deck and I use twisted snap hook straps......it would be almost possible for one to come unhooked and the d-rings are easier to hook up and prevent having to run a strap or chain over a sharp edge that could cause binding or a cut on the strap.

My few regarding attaching to the frame is that it's difficult to compress the suspension enough so that it will not further compress when hitting a big bump. If it did compress more, it would slack the straps/chains and could cause them to come unhooked or simply break due to the shock load. Commercial car haulers do attach to the frame, but they have a setup that is capable of pretty much compressing the suspension to the bumpstops.......you can't do that with normal ratchet straps!

However, running some additional straps to the frame as a safety if the axle straps break probably isn't a bad idea. It may also be necessary if you have a really soft suspension on the trailered rig in order to avoid excessive sway.

11. big pappa b

Thanks guys :bow: Once we get moved and I have my garage setup I plan on welding in some D rings for extra tie down spotsAs for driving it farter up the trailer, I have the back tires right up against the fenders now. I'm a little too wide to fit between the fenders.
    Maybe it looked farther up when you had it cause there was a nice steel box taking up space on the front of the trailer :whistle:

I'm gonna have my friend check it out before I go. I actually think it could be up a little too far by an inch or 2...maybe

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Just a comment

The one time I had my K5 on a trailer(rubicon killed my rig) as we started down the Hwy the trailer started swaying..slow down start going again and more swaying. Pulled off the hwy and moved my K5 closer to the tow rig adding more weight to the hitch and no more swaying:D
    Good Luck Brotha

Burt

13. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I did somethink like that... with out the same out come:(

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just take a chain, hook it on one side, wrap it around the front axle, hook it to the other side of the trailer, and tighten it with a binder. That chain then wants to pull the blazer forward. I repeat on the rear axle except that chain pull on it backwards. Bacically what you did, just with chains. I would bring the blazer forward more if you can or it will want to swing the back of that burb around if there isn't enough tongue weight.

15. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Kinda looks like my set up!!!!:cool1:

[​IMG]

I obviosly didn't have it strapped there, but I usually use one strap to the front axle, one to the rear axle. Then 2 to the frame on each side of the front and then 2 for each side of the rear. I like my trailer and truck to work as one unit.

16. big pappa b

Well, I finally towed it a little today. Had to go get a tire patched cause I picked up a nail or screw :angry1:

The K5 definitely weighs more than my j**p cherokee/ I wasn't on the highway but more side streets and it felt like the burb was doing some bouncing around in the back (up and down). I did move the K5 a little father forward ( 1-2" ). Sound like it could be too far forward now?? It looks fairly level
    :dunno: