Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hows this sound?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Jun 17, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

okay i just got some money so this is what i'm thinking: 6" tuff country EZ rides up front, 4" shackle flip and 2" blocks out back, and an ORD 1" body lift. the suburban is my daily driver. so is this a good setup? i know blocks are bad but only 2" shouldn't hurt right? i run 4" blocks right now. what about drive lines?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds good to me. You will have to lengthen your drivelines. What size tires are you planning on running?

3. muddysub

i already have a 4" and 36x12.50-16.5 TSLs. i remember when i was thinking about suspension lifts i wanted a 2.5 and some 33"s and yall convinced me to go with a 4" and 36"s which i love. well now i want a 6", which i knew would happen, but its happening now. so will this be a good setup? i dont want 6" rear springs they will be stiffer than what i have so i knowing i'm going with the shackle flip but does anyone have 6" EZ rides?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You will not need to mess with drivelines on a Suburban with a 6" lift. You don't have to on a shortbox pickup so you definitely won't have to on a Sub, which is nearly the same wheelbase as a longbox pickup.

6" springs shouldn't ride too rough on a Sub, it's REALLY heavy out back compared to a pickup.

My question is though, why all this suspension change? Why not just put a body lift on?

5. muddysub

dont wanna lift the bumpers, i want a shackle flip, and i like suspension lifts more than body lifts. i'm gonna do a body lift too but only the ORD 1".

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    With body lifts you have to worry about stuff like fan clearance problems,readjusting the gear shift,if it's a stick,poss. widening the gearshift hole on the tranny hump(depends on how much body lift you use),lengthening the gass filler neck tube, or anything else that's attached to the frame going to the body.

7. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

Muddysub,
    I have 56" TC EZ-ride 6" rear springs on my K20. I went from stock 3/4 ton 56" with 4" blocks to 6" springs with polly bushings and greasable bolts and lost 150 points on a 23* RTI ramp. I wish I had done the flip and 2" blocks.

Marc

8. muddysub

really? cool! not that you lost flex but that i thought of something good. thanks for the info. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was in the same place as you, and I like suspension more than body too, but I considered that the more you go in suspension, generally:

Rides rougher
    Wears U-joints out faster
    May need driveshafts
    Costs you flex
    Costs you $$$$$$

I decided to save my money and still do the shackle flip. I'm going to use a 1" longer shackle up front and a 1" zero rate to give me 5.5" up front. I bought one of BoregoK5's "100% bolt on" shackle flips (which would be GREAT on a K5 or Sub where the tank is an issue). Plus, I'm adding a 3" body. Total cost? Zero rates are $30, shackles free, $90 with shipping for the 'flip, and $80 for the body lift. Go from 4" to 8" of lift without buying drivelines for $200, which is cheaper than the cost of a set of front springs. That leaves money left over for a 1 ton CV for the rear or a front locker.

It took me three weeks to decide exactly what I wanted to do. I have decided to do 8" of lift and 35s because 38s are in my future, I saw a yellow shortbox in a magazine recently that looked REALLY good with 8" and 35s, and because once you're maxed out on body lift (3" is all that's legal in IL) it makes it a real simple decision. If you want it taller, you go with suspension.

Not to mention, I can pull the body lift pucks out later if I want and sell 'em for $50 if I decided I dont like it.

Why do all that work for a 1" body when you really want 3" more inches of lift as-is?

Even if you did the 3" body AND the ORD shackle flip, you'd still be ahead when it was over as far as $$, plus you wouldn't have blocks at all in the rear!!

Just something to think about. It seriously took me weeks to decide what I want to do and I went this route for multiple reasons. It's your truck--and the cool thing about these trucks is that you can build 'em any way you want. There's probably a stock truck out there with 44s. My friend has 15" of lift for 44s...and there are bigger trucks than that! That's why I love these trucks! So many options.

10. muddysub

you have got a good idea with the 3" body and shackle flip. get rid of my blocks and get more height for less money....

i'll have to do some more thinking. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif