Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How's your privacy??...........mine is gone!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diesel4me, Jan 27, 2006.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I just read a rather disturbing story on the front page of our local paper,"The Taunton Daily Gazzette"..www.tauntondailygazette.com/

It seems "Big Brother" has moved to Raynham,and they just decided to let us know today,when in fact they have been here and watching for several months now..:eek1:

About 3/4 of a mile from my house there is a huge water tower on top of a hill on Rt.44..it is now the "eye" in the sky for the entire area..they even stated they have "zoom" lenses powerful enough to keep watch on that dam that nearly burst in Taunton 4.5 miles away a few months ago!--and its capeable of reading licencse plate #'s at the Wal-Mart,Lowes,and several other bussinesses within a 2 mile radius quite easily..

Not that I have anything to hide..I just feel its an intrusion..I'll have to go deeper into the woods to pee outside now,or I might get busted for indecent exposure..even though only a few birds or squirrels will be the only ones watching..except for that camera..which,BTW,is paid for and sponsored by the department of "Homeland Security" ..they are even working on being able to "stream" live video of the camera to the police cruisers!..

I'm all for security and law enforcement..lord knows we have a crime problem here that increases daily..but how come with all this surveillance,they couldn't catch the woman who robbed the Xtra-Mart 1/4 mile away at gunpoint wednesday night??--or the guy who stole 200 bucks worth of shrimp at the Super Wal-Mart!..and countless other crimes that went down within a 2 mile radius??

I would not be suprised if it instead gets used to "spy" on residents,in hopes of finding someone building something without a permit,or having a few "spare" K5's out in the backyard for parts,etc..:mad: ..or other things of that nature..they claim its for "traffic conditions,and law enforcement"..

--I've yet to see any terrorists here ,but I guess its possible..but if they are spending this much money on a small town of 12,000 people in a "low risk" zone,I can only imagine the scrutiny people will be under in larger cities,if this is any indication of how far "homeland security" is going to go..

Why do I get the feeling America is becoming more like Hitlers Germany ???:confused:

Is this what our forefathers wanted??--to be under the lens constantly..regulated..controlled??...they already took our freedom of speech away from us..if you disagree,just print anything you don't like about our president,and you'll see!..(or ask the Dixie Chicks!)..:rolleyes:

Now we won't be able to do anything without feeling "watched"..all because a few terrorists "might" be up to something.(very unlikely here IMO)...
    I doubt they could ever catch them,even if they were,even with all this "technology"..It will harm US more than any terrorists..all this "camera" will do is provide a video track of an attack for the 11 o clock news,and little else,IMO..it won't "prevent" anyting....I wonder how much they wasted on this brainchild...:surepal:

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Big Brother

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Hey now, that Dixie Chicks thing was for the good of the nation- nay! the world! No longer will their lame music pollute my hearing... :waytogo:

I follow you though. I hear Raynam is the center of the country as far as terrorism, and houses with giant signs on the roof proclaiming: "Criminal Inside, Home 5:00 PM- 7:00 AM."

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I saw that.

5. diesel4me

Link don't work..

The link I posted for the newspaper comes up a dead end ...hmmm..funny,I could read the news online until today..interesting..cant even find the front page on "google"..:confused: ..guess they don't want the secret to be posted all over the internet...

Don't assume I'm a Bush hater--I voted for him!..and though I think Natalie Maines was wrong to express her critisism of Bush while overseas,and on a stage during a show..she as an American should have the right to her opinion,if there is a thing as "free speech"(and I like some of their songs,despite her big mouth and bad timing,they ARE talented musicians)..our
    soldiers in Iraq are dying to protect that right..

I just feel one by one,our rights are being eroded,and eventually taken away..all in the guise of "security"...just like the "smoking" thread..whats next??..:( ..all I'm saying is this "Homeland Security" really to ensure our safety??--or is it just another way to spy on and keep tabs on US??...:crazy:

6. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

7. diesel4me

Thank Uuu...

..Thanks,I tried all the other URL's that USED to work..must have changed them recently:blush: .....:bow:

I wish the picture of the police chief in his office watching the 4' plasma screen of all the cameras pictures was posted like it is in the front page of the paper tonight..makes him look like God,watching over all of "his" town..:cool: ..

He lives only a few houses away,so maybe I should be careful about keeping my parts out of sight..I'm sure HIS house is watched the most out of all of them..I'd hate to be the poor SOB who tries doing anything on his property.. ..he'd be watching from 3 miles away!:eek1: ....

I'd better not fart,the terrorist methane gas detector might go off..:surepal:

To his credit,he has gotten many grants from the federal government,and is in the process of tying all the police departments computers from many surrounding towns together..so if a crackhead gets busted 2 towns away,right away ALL the towns know about it..

He's also converting a former school building into a "Homeland Security" center for the entire southeast massachussetts area..which probably accounts for the "spy" camera..and he also is very "up" on computer crimes,like online stalkers and rapists,and "scams" involving money being swindled...has busted many molesters that were arranging to meet 13 year olds and seduce them ,on online "stings".

He's a smart cop..anyone busted for posession ,and has a cell phone,he gets all their customers numbers out of the memory,and then waits for it to ring,arranges a "meeting"and then busts them too!..:p: ..not many of the people on the wrong side of the law are fond of him,thats for sure...:crazy:

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hmmmm........looks like its time to bend over... drop your drawers..... and practice a little well aimed flatulence

9. midnitewarya

No problem! Wish I could see the pics of his office. I work in Loss Prevention, and I was recently certifired by American Dynamics (used to be Sensormatic) to install those things. I can watch my store (all 47 PTZs) from my computer at home. It comes in handy when I'm off, I like to check on my associaties to make sure they aren't using the camera system to look at T&A all day. I'd like to see how he has is office set up. Mine is still in it's original config, from like 20 years ago. It's time to move on.

And you aren't kidding about Big Bro. Workin in the field made realize just how much of what we do is on camera. Buddy of mine has a link on his computer to a page that the GA Dept of Trans has. On the page, you can watch every inch of I-285 around Atlanta. It's creepy.

Al

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

thats right because you NEVER hear anything that doesent agree with bush!!!:rolleyes:

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

eh, stop being paranoid...... :wink1:

just like people whining about the Patriot act... yet there hasn't been a single case of abusing the policy... heck, englands had cameras on every corner for years, and its helped them tremendously..

kinda funny how you bitch constantly about scumbag crime in the area but when somethings done to try and help the situation you forget all that...

reminds me of how the libs bitch about "our troops don't have proper armor, etc"... well, assholes if you didn't hate the military and cut it to hell over the years, we'd have all we need...

its sad to me how small our military has become.. we couldn't invade Iran if we wanted, we're stretched so thin.. (i actually think, if nescessary, only air strikes should be used, no ground assault)..

heck, if we had numbers like yesteryear, we could have completely blocked Iraq's borders and prevented 1/2 the attacks that have happened in the last couple years..

thanks to Kerry, Kennedy and the rest for trying to neuter the military... boy, this post got sidetracked... :eek1: :doah: :haha:

12. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Dude.. GW has nothing to do with the dixie chicks fall fom grace.. they pissed off the fans, that's all.. what you are seeing is capitalism in action.. an entity p.o.'s the customer base, and they suffer in the marketplace..nothing sinister going on there.

As far as nazi comparison, that doesn't fly either.. citizens aren't being rounded up for the purpose of ethnic cleansing, and anybody with a computer can fire up a blog and say whatever they want. If the gov't was REALLY into censorship, the liberal mainstream media would've been shut down years ago, and we won't even shell al - jezeera.

Americans have some hard choices ahead.. if you want cradle -to - grave protection from poverty and disaster, naturally you become a servant to uncle sugar... if we want the gov't to do less, how ready are we really as a society to take more responsibility for our lives.. look how we sqawk when any free gov't goodie is about to be taken away or scaled back.. generations have been conditoned to rely on the gov't, our employers, or a labor union to save and protect us, and nobody is really self sufficent anymore..

Just being hooked into the social security contract means our rights are no longer rights guaranteed by the creator, but rather they are given by the state in exchange for it's benefits, and can be taken at will.

if you want to cry about a loss of freedom, cry about those freedoms. Nothing is free, and every benefit you get from any entity carries with it a loss of personal freedom.

Tom

13. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

When you are out in public, you have no "expectation of privacy". That is the standard used when placing cameras in locations. The courts have consistently ruled though that you have an expectation of privacy in your home, in changing rooms, in public bathrooms, on your private property if one could not normally see you where you are, etc. Having a camera out in public should not change anything for the average person.

15. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you are behind a wood fence in your back yard, you do have some expectation of privacy and a camera like this, until made public, may cross that line. I suppose that once it becomes public, any reasonable expectation is gone.

I for got the statistic, but you would be stunned to know how many time the average person is on camera a day.

17. midnitewarya

In the UK, it's 300 times a day. I imagine that in the US, it's more around 50-75 times day. It's a little different in the US though. On the UK system, it's gov't run and integrated citywide. In the US, your person (not you in your car on a highway) is normaly only seen in businesses or in privately owned places, like the mall. The system is getting larger, but there is no inter-communication between different areas. For instance, if you go the the Mall, Sears may pick you up, then Macy's might pick you up, then the Chinese Food place, and then the Mall Security might see you go out to your car. But, there is no way to watch a person go from place to place without a break in the surveillance between different parties. So, it's not as bad as people think. Plus, there is no standard of surveillance, most stores use dummy domes. Target, for example, uses alot of dummy domes. Walmart had almost no CCTV systems, theirs is geared to watch associates who may be stealing.

I think CCTV is great. A prime example is the incident when that girl was kidnapped on video. The police were able to locate the guy and now he is on death row. What's wrong with that?

Heres a neat link that talks about it:
    http://www.bostonmagazine.com/index...rticleID/90641718-77a3-4702-9925-32b14f98d5c7

Al

18. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Depends on the circumstances. If your wood fence goes around 2000 acres, and neighbors can see onto your property without any effort at all due to the terrain, then not really. But in a suburban setting, a backyard can potentially have some privacy. However, in many suburban settings, simply looking out your back window looks down into a backyard of a neighbor. There are court cases where people have been prosecuted for indecent exposure, even though tanning sans clothes in the backyard, because of the surrounding setup where all the neighbors can see.